With the January tax return deadline just around the corner (end of Jan), HM Revenue and Customs has revealed the ‘Top 10 oddest excuses’ for sending in a late return. The following bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses have all been used by tardy taxpayers:
- My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
- I had a run-in with a cow
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else
- My wife won’t give me my mail
- My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is
- I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
- Our business doesn’t really do anything
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns
More top news
More than 30 huts have been burgled along Herne Bay pier, in what seems to be a systematic attack
More than 1,000 cars have been left unattended in a muddy field by companies promising to provide 'off-site' parking for Gatwick Airport.
More than 1,000 cars have been left unattended in a muddy field by five companies promising off-site parking for Gatwick Airport.