With the January tax return deadline just around the corner (end of Jan), HM Revenue and Customs has revealed the ‘Top 10 oddest excuses’ for sending in a late return. The following bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses have all been used by tardy taxpayers:
- My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
- I had a run-in with a cow
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else
- My wife won’t give me my mail
- My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is
- I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
- Our business doesn’t really do anything
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns
More top news
Police are appealing to find two women after CCTV captured the theft of poppy collection boxes in Wiltshire and Hampshire.
Holly has the forecast for tonight and tomorrow in the east of the region.
Holly has the forecast for tonight and tomorrow in the west of the region.