With the January tax return deadline just around the corner (end of Jan), HM Revenue and Customs has revealed the ‘Top 10 oddest excuses’ for sending in a late return. The following bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses have all been used by tardy taxpayers:
- My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
- I had a run-in with a cow
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else
- My wife won’t give me my mail
- My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is
- I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
- Our business doesn’t really do anything
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns
More top news
A damp and cold night ahead. Valentine's Day will start cloudy but become brighter in the afternoon. Risk of showers along the Kent coast.
Cold and damp tonight with outbreaks of rain. A cold and dull start to Valentine's Day but becoming drier and brighter by the afternoon.
Rain turning more patchy this afternoon but more persistent along the coast. Feeling cold in the brisk north-easterly wind.