With the January tax return deadline just around the corner (end of Jan), HM Revenue and Customs has revealed the ‘Top 10 oddest excuses’ for sending in a late return. The following bizarre, exotic and flimsy excuses have all been used by tardy taxpayers:
- My pet goldfish died (self-employed builder)
- I had a run-in with a cow
- After seeing a volcanic eruption on the news, I couldn’t concentrate on anything else
- My wife won’t give me my mail
- My husband told me the deadline was 31 March, and I believed him
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play
- My bad back means I can’t go upstairs. That’s where my tax return is
- I’ve been cruising round the world in my yacht, and only picking up post when I’m on dry land
- Our business doesn’t really do anything
- I’ve been too busy submitting my clients’ tax returns
More top news
Three young women with Down's Syndrome have made an impassioned appeal to councillors to reverse plans to shut their respite centre.
Poole Hospital is to lose it's A&E department, maternity unit and paediatrics services in a major shake-up of healthcare in Dorset.
Wednesday night's weather for the east of the region