Police are warning people in Eastleigh to be on their guard as a fake police scam, aimed at the elderly, has been reported to them.
Victims have all received a phone call from a man claiming to be from Hammersmith Police.
The man sounds very plausible but police are warning to not give out bank details or to pass any valuable items to couriers following calls like this.
They have given this advice on any telephone scams:
- Never accept offers over the phone "if they sound too good to be true, they usually are."
- Never give personal details over the phone
- Report any suspicious phone calls to your phone company
- Consider registering your phone number with Telephone Preference Service (TPS Online) or 0845 070 0707
- Most telephone providers will block anonymous callers
- Never give your credit or bank card PIN over the phone. This information is never requested legitimately by your bank or the police
- If you think something is wrong, hang up the phone
More top news
Robert Weighton and Alfred Smith only became pen pals two years ago - and today Britain's oldest men both celebrated their 109th birthdays.
Simon's Blog - First Thing In The Morning....
Wednesday night's weather for the west of the region