The fire that destroyed the Phoenix Theatre & Studios in Lewes is believed to have been started accidentally by a wood burning stove on one of the upper floors, according to East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.
Up to seventy firefighters tackled the blaze last night. Crews were called to the scene shortly after 6pm. They managed to stop the fire spreading to other neighbouring buildings. The fire was out by 9.30pm, but crews remained at the site until 6am this morning damping down the embers.
More top news
Heavy showers turning potentially thundery this afternoon. Becoming dry but chilly tonight, then dry and sunny tomorrow.
A wet afternoon with heavy rain followed by heavy, potentially thundery, showers. Dry but chilly tonight, then dry and sunny tomorrow.
Ex-football manager Harry Redknapp told undercover reporters his own players bet on the result of one of their own matches, it is claimed.