Officer in charge of the incident, Station Manager Paul Riddell, said: "On arrival crews were met with a severe and rapidly developing fire in a top floor flat where multiple rescues were required and aggressive firefighting undertaken.
"Numerous families did a fantastic job of getting to a place of fresh air after they realised they could not escape via the communal corridor. Residents had retreated to their balconies after blocking the bottom of their front doors with towels and blankets to stop smoke entering their properties."
More top news
The company advised customers to "unplug" their tumble dryers and "do not use it" if they are subject to the recall.
Police have found possible evidence at the the former home of double murderer Christopher Halliwell. It's part of a major search operation.
Wednesday's weather forecast for the west of the region