Advertisement

Man accused of killing Jayden Parkinson to go on trial

The trial is due to begin today of a man accused of killing Didcot teenager Jayden Parkinson.

View all 3 updates ›

Man accused of murdering pregnant ex-girlfriend

Jayden Parkinson Credit: ITV Meridian

A man murdered his teenage ex-girlfriend after finding out she was pregnant with his child, a court heard today.

Ben Blakeley, 22, killed 17-year-old Jayden Parkinson in countryside south of Didcot, Oxfordshire, on December 3 last year, Oxford Crown Court heard.

Blakeley was accused of being obsessive and controlling and regularly beat Jayden.

Her body was found in an established grave at All Saints' churchyard in Didcot, Oxfordshire, on December 18 last year, after she was last seen alive on December 3.

Richard Latham QC, prosecuting, told the jury of five men and seven women that Jayden had been living at the One Foot Forward hostel in Oxford when she disappeared.

She was captured on CCTV leaving the hostel - where she had been a resident for four weeks - at 3.31pm on December 3.

Mr Latham said that at 4.06pm Jayden was caught on CCTV at Oxford railway station with Blakeley.

At 4.27pm a security camera recorded the last known sighting of Jayden as she arrived at Didcot railway station with her ex-boyfriend.

Shortly after midnight, staff at One Foot Forward reported Jayden missing after she failed to return.

Mr Latham said: "The prosecution case is that Jayden was killed by Ben Blakeley that same evening in open countryside south of Didcot - there is no dispute between prosecution and defence.

"We cannot be precise about location for this simple reason - unlike most killings the body was moved from where the offence occurred.

"There is only one person alive who knows the truth and we would invite you to be very sceptical about what he says or has said."

Blakeley, of Christchurch Road, Reading, Berkshire, has denied murdering the teenager but has admitted killing her and disposing of her body.

But the prosecution refused to accept his plea and he has now gone on trial alongside a 17-year-old boy.

The youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, pleaded guilty this morning to a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

But he denied a charge of preventing a lawful burial between December 2 and December 10 last year.

More top news