A mother from Ringwood has escaped from an explosion at her family home after a fire caused by an e-cigarette which was plugged into a faulty charger.
Nobody was injured but it is the latest in a string of incidents in the UK involving the use of cheap or inappropriate chargers.
The woman was alerted to the fire in an upstairs bedroom of the house on Southampton Road by her smoke alarm. After discovering the fire, she managed to escape downstairs before the explosion, caused by the heating of the pressurised canister of an air horn that was in the room.
In May, a Welsh woman was burned after her e-cigarette exploded when it was plugged into her phone charger and a woman in North Yorkshire was also injured earlier this year when a charging e-cigarette overheated.
While e-cigarettes can be susceptible to overheating due to the type of battery they contain, Hampshire's Trading Standards are keen to stress the importance of using the right charger for all devices and raise awareness of the dangers of cheap alternatives.
More top news
Very windy with heavy rain moving east tonight. Becoming drier but staying windy later. Then sunny spells and strong winds tomorrow
Heavy rain and strong winds this evening. The rain will clear tonight but staying windy, especially along the coast
Hampshire police arrest seven more men in investigation into an alleged conspiracy to commit serious sexual offences on the Isle of Wight.