Live updates

Suspected illegal immigrants found in lorry in Kent

Four suspected illegal immigrants have been detained after being found in a lorry full of tyres in Kent.

Kent Police were called to the London-bound carriageway of the M20 following reports of suspected migrants on the vehicle.

The motorway was closed near junction 9 while police removed the people from the lorry.

A force spokesman said the immigration authorities would be informed of the incident.

Portsmouth man killed in Syria

Credit: P.A.

A 24-year-old man has become the third from the same UK city to have been killed in fighting in Syria.

Manunur Roshid was one of five friends who travelled to the war-torn country from Portsmouth, in October last year.

He is understood to have joined up with fighters from the Islamic State of Iraqand the Levant (Isil). Two of his companions, Ifthekar Jaman, 23, and Muhammad Humidur Rahman, 25, have already died.<

Abdul Jalil, committee chairman of the Jami mosque in Portsmouth, said that he understood a fourth man from Portsmouth was also ill in hospital in Syria.

He told the Portsmouth News: "We are very worried. They are on the front line. Five people went there and three have been killed.

"It is a very big shock for their parents and we are working with the community to make sure that [something like this] does not happen again.

"We are working with the police, the crime prevention team and the council to warn people, our youngsters especially, telling them not to go to Syria and also to get parents to watch their children."

"We are aware of reports that a British national has been killed in Syria. The UK has advised for some time against all travel to Syria, where all UK consular services are suspended. As we do not have any representation in Syria, it is extremely difficult to get any confirmation of deaths or injuries and our options for supporting British nationals there are extremely limited."

– Foreign Office

Earlier this month, two houses in Portsmouth, including the family home of Ifthekar Jaman, were among properties raided by counter-terrorism police.

Officers from the South East Counter Terrorism Unit (SECTU) have been granted extra time to question two men aged 26 and 23, from Portsmouth, a 23-year-old woman from Farnborough and a 29-year-old woman from Greenwich who were arrested under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000 on suspicion of commission, preparation and instigation of acts of terrorism.

Their detention is now authorised until October 28

Advertisement

Ebola screening at Gatwick

Gatwick airport Credit: P.A.

Screening for Ebola at Gatwick Airport will begin, say Public Health Enland.

It will start in North Terminal, then checks will begin at South Terminal,

followed by St Pancras (Eurostar) later this week, a spokesman said.

He added: "This expands the screening initiated at Heathrow last week, which

is going well. Manchester and Birmingham airports will follow in the coming

weeks.

"Screening is being undertaken to help ensure individuals arriving from

high-risk areas know what to do if they start feeling ill, and can receive

expert advice immediately. We are also providing all general practices,

emergency departments, and pharmacies in England with awareness posters from

this week. Public Health England will continue to consider other appropriate

additional measures."

The screening is taking place for passengers that Border Force officers

identify as having travelled from Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia.<

Passengers have their temperature taken and complete a questionnaire asking

about their current health, recent travel history and whether they might be at

potential risk through contact with Ebola patients.<

Based on the information provided and their temperature, passengers will either

be given advice and allowed to continue their journey, or undergo a clinical

assessment by PHE staff and if necessary be transferred to hospital for further

tests.

"Screening is being undertaken to help ensure individuals arriving from high-risk areas know what to do if they start feeling ill, and can receive expert advice immediately. We are also providing all general practices, emergency departments, and pharmacies in England with awareness posters from this week. Public Health England will continue to consider other appropriate additional measures."

– Public Health England

Gallipoli warship to open in Portsmouth

The gunship will open to the public next year Credit: PA

The only surviving ship from the Gallipoli Campaign in the First World War is to be opened to the public for the first time thanks to £1.75 million of lottery cash.

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) has awarded the grant to the National Museum of the Royal Navy (NMRN) in Portsmouth, Hampshire, to restore the HMS M.33 in time for the centenary commemorations next year.

Matthew Sheldon, project director, said: "HMS M.33 is a small ship but has a big history.

"It will be wonderful to open the ship to visitors next year on her centenary - finally we'll be able to share the story of her part in the Gallipoli Campaign, and reveal what it was like for the 72 crew who were crammed on board."

The Gallipoli Campaign, fought between April 1915 and January 2016 in what is now Turkey, claimed more than 100,000 lives of personnel from all round the world.

HMS M.33 is a 'Monitor' ship which, at 568 tons and with a shallow draft, was able to get close in to shore and fire at targets on land.

It carried two powerful and oversize 6in guns but has been described as "a basic metal box lacking in comforts".

Witnesses sought after serious accident in Medway

Kent Police is investigating Credit: PA

Kent Police is appealing for witnesses to come forward following a road traffic collision on the Wainscott Bypass in Medway.

At 8pm on Friday 17 October a red Renault HGV was driving along lane one of the A289 London-bound carriageway when it manoeuvred to avoid a broken-down grey Saab.

As it did so, the lorry collided with a blue and white Suzuki GSXR motorcycle causing its rider to come off his bike.

The carriageway was closed for a number of hours whilst officers from Kent Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit carried out their enquiries.

The motorcyclist sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to hospital where his condition is described as stable.

One man has been arrested and bailed pending further investigations.

Kent Police is keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the collision or been in the area in the moments beforehand.

Witnesses are urged to contact the dedicated SCIU appeal line on 01622 798538 or Kent Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Historic ship's dog declared male after 500 years

Hatch's skeleton Credit: PA

For years she was thought to be a girl, but now Hatch, the seadog who went down with the Mary Rose nearly 500 years ago, has been declared a boy.

DNA tests on the mongrel's remains have revealed more accurate details about the dog, whose bones were beautifully preserved in the silt of the Solent until their recovery in 1982.

Until now, Hatch was thought to have been the only known female on board the Mary Rose, which sank in 1545.

Hatch's skeleton is on display at Portsmouth's Mary Rose Museum, where 19000 objects from Henry VIII's ill-fated ship are on display

The Mary Rose museum Credit: PA

Man's body found in town centre street

Police were called to the scene at 8.05 this morning Credit: Steve Salter

A man's body has been found at Park Street in Ashford, near the Panorama building.

Police officers and ambulance crews were called early this morning to reports of a man in the road, but when they arrived they found that he had died.

A police spokesman would not say how the man came to be in the road but confirmed they are not treating his death as suspicious.

The death is not being treated as suspicious Credit: Steve Salter

Stonehenge tunnel to ease traffic chaos

The move will not be without its opponents Credit: PA

It's a dramatic backdrop for a traffic jam - but queues at Stonehenge may be a thing of the past, as ministers prepare to approve a road tunnel under the World Heritage site.

Chancellor George Osborne is expected to commit hundreds of millions of pounds to the project in his Autumn statement, despite it being shelved in 2007 because of spiralling costs.

It would end years debate over the infamous bottleneck on the A303 in Wiltshire, a major route to the south west.

Body "may be Berkshire-born student Hannah Graham"

Missing University of Virginia student Hannah Graham Credit: Charlottesville, Va., Police Dept.

Police in the US say they have found human remains that could be those of a British-born University of Virginia student who has been missing since September 13.

The remains were found on an abandoned property in Virginia's southern Albemarle county by police.

Police chief Tim Longo said that further forensic tests would be conducted to confirm that the remains were those of Hannah Graham, who was born in Reading

Thousands of volunteers had searched for the 18-year-old in the weeks since her disappearance.

Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr, 32, has been charged with abduction with intent to defile Ms Graham.

Virginia State Police have said that the suspect's arrest provided a "forensic link" to the 2009 unsolved murder of Morgan Harrington, a 20-year-old who also went missing from Charlottesville.

Load more updates