A bomb scare delayed the start of Brighton Pride by over an hour today. The opening parade had to be re-routed after the discovery of a suspect package on the seafront. It was safely blown up by army bomb disposal experts. Pride is celebrating its 25th anniversary, and organisers say there's a record turnout of around 200,000 people. Malcolm Shaw reports.
IDR at Chatham Street is closed after a man fell from the overhead bridge. Motorists should avoid the area. Emergency service at the scene.
The IDR is still closed at this time. We thank the public for their patience at this time. Further updates to be published later.
A town in Kent is honouring its links to a unique piece of wartime history. A plaque and information board in Gravesend will remember the exploits of the only German prisoner to have escaped from Britain in both world wars. Derek Johnson reports.
It's been confirmed that the body of a man who died in Dubai is that of missing forty-nine-year-old Thomas Wynn.
Detectives in Sussex had been searching for him after he failed to answer police bail.
He was wanted in connection with a five million pound conspiracy to supply heroin. His death is not being treated as suspicious.
Hundreds of migrants have continued to clash with the authorities in their bid to gain access to cross-channel terminals in Calais.
Kent Police have extended Operation Stack to cover five junctions of the M20 as heavy freight traffic and disruption at Calais continue to cause delays.
The motorway closure will now run between junctions 8 and 13, affecting the coastbound traffic.
Tourist and local traffic is being diverted onto the A20 from Junction 8 at Hollingbourne to allow backed-up freight traffic to park on the coastbound carriageway of the M20. Channel Tunnel-bound traffic can then rejoin the M20 at junction 11.
Police had earlier said that the problems were being exacerbated by freight drivers trying to bypass the queues on the M20 by joining the domestic traffic.
Prime Minister David Cameron has defended his Government against claims its action in response to the Calais migrant crisis is "too little too late" in dealing with "foreseeable" problems on both sides of the Channel Tunnel.
More migrants attempted to reach Britain from Calais via the Channel Tunnel on Wednesday night, a day after a man was crushed to death under a truck.
Hundreds of migrants, some seemingly as young as 13 or 14, gathered for a third night along the fence to the freight terminal at Coquelles.
Around 15 were seen climbing through a hole in the wire before using clothes to help them jump over the first of two fences.
French police arrived in riot vans and rounded up some of the migrants, while three or four ran towards parked lorries.
Groups of migrants have been seen walking along the motorway in Calais this evening.
ITV News captured video footage of numerous groups, carrying plastic bags full of belongings, climbing over motorway barriers and making their way across the busy stretch of road:
Delays on both sides of the Channel caused by the Calais crisis are costing the Kent economy around £1.5 million a day, the county council estimates.
This figure includes lost revenue to tourist attractions such as Leeds Castle, but not the cost to other authorities such as the police and highways which implement Operation Stack.
Meanwhile, the UK logistics industry is losing around £750,000 a day because of Operation Stack, according to the Freight Transport Association (FTA).
FTA Deputy Chief Executive James Hookham said: "This is the country’s GDP and export standing still in these horrendous queues caused by the situation in Calais."
The operation has been implemented on 24 of the past 40 days, largely due to problems with migrants in France and ferry strikes.