Live updates

Council warns residents about scam emails

Residents are being warned not to disclose bank details online Credit: ITV Meridian

Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council is warning residents to be wary of unsolicited emails from people claiming to work for the council and demanding that Council Tax details should be updated online.

The warning comes after the Borough Council received reports from concerned residents who had received a bogus email telling them that they had an outstanding Council Tax debt.

In this latest scam, the email goes on to say that the Council has been unable to process their recent council tax payment and that they must verify their account details within 24 hours by clicking on a link within the email.

The scam email also says that those who fail to update their account in time will be fined.

Sharon Shelton, the Borough Council's Director of Finance and Transformation, says: "This is the latest in a range of scams aimed at tricking people to part with their bank details and their cash. Our officers never email or telephone residents to ask them to confirm their bank details in this way and we are urging residents to be extremely wary of these unscrupulous individuals who may use a variety of tactics to try to get them to part with personal details or money."

Delays expected when bridge works start in Reading

Work begins today for six weeks Credit: ITV Meridian

Motorists are being warned there may be delays on Reading Bridge for six weeks during essential works to strengthen its structure. The work starts next Monday 17th November.

More than 350 lorry loads of expanding foam concrete is to be pumped into empty spaces under the 92 year old crossing.

One lane will be closed on weekdays between 9am and 4pm until the 5th of December.

Advertisement

  1. David Johns (@davidjohns_itv)

Remembrance services in the south-east

Services of commemoration and remembrance have been held across the south-east today. Cities, towns and villages came to a standstill as people young and old stopped to think about the impact of conflict around the world.

David Johns reports, speaking to Tug Wilson, chairman of Chatham RNA; Warrant Officer Tony Matthews of the Royal Navy; and Mrs Susan Bavin, daughter of Sittingbourne VC recipient Donald Dean.

Foodie city adds Rick sign to celebrity list

Seafood lover Rick Stein is on the growing list of celebrity chefs coming to Winchester Credit: ITV Meridian

It's known for its cathedral and other historic sites, but now Winchester is also gaining a reputation for its food.

Rick Stein is the latest high-profile chef to open a restaurant in the city. So why now - and why here?

Lauren Hall's been speaking to Rick, and Winchester tourism spokeswoman Rachel Gander

Woman arrested on drink-drive suspicion after cyclist killed

A 47-year-old woman is in police custody Credit: PA

A woman has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop at the scene of an accident and drink driving, after the body of a cyclist was found in the road.

Emergency services were called to the A24, next to the Esso Petrol Station at 1.25am today (Sunday 9 November) after the 31-year-old man, who had been riding a mountain bike was found lying in the road by a member of the public.

He was sadly pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. The A24 was closed between the Beare Green Roundabout northbound and Mill Road southbound while officers carried out their investigation.

A 47 year old woman from the Horley area has been arrested.

Anyone with any information should contact Surrey Police by calling 101 quoting the reference number P14322368. Alternatively you can also contact the independent charity Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Ferry latest : Emergency response stood down

Passengers have been tweeting about their ordeal on board the Dover Seaways ferry which crashed into a harbour wall on Sunday morning.

Four people needed hospital treatment following the incident on the 8am crossing from Dover.

A passenger tweeted to say a disabled woman had been knocked unconscious in the crash and that the ferry shop looked like it had been "ram-raided".

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

The Port of Dover Authority have released a new statement

Port of Dover can confirm that it has stood down an emergency response to the incident involving Dover Seaways.

All passengers have safely disembarked the vessel and most continued their journey by being accommodated on other DFDS Seaways ferries.

A small number of passengers and crew were dealt with by South East Coast Ambulance Service at the scene. Four of those passengers were taken to hospital for further checks; none are believed to have suffered serious injuries. DFDS is continuing to support passengers and crew affected by this incident.

Our first priority is always to ensure safety of all those who use the Port. Thankfully incidents whilst relatively rare are always professionally and rapidly dealt with.

The crew of the Dover Seaways, relevant emergency services and our own team have immediately put emergency plans into practice to ensure the safety of those on board. The vessel, Dover Seaways, is currently safely berthed in the Eastern Docks. We praise all concerned for their swift response.

– Port of Dover Authority

Remembrance services across the South : Your pictures

Ferry evacuated after harbour crash- Latest

Damage on board the ferry Credit: Social media
Pictures posted on Twitter by passengers Credit: Social media

Four people have been taken to hospital after a Dover Seaways ferry collided with the harbour wall on Sunday morning, and several others required minor treatment.

An investigation has been launched into what caused the incident, which happened on the 8am sailing this morning.

The Port of Dover has issued a statement

Port of Dover can confirm that an incident involving Dover Seaways is ongoing. All relevant emergency services were in attendance but have now left the scene.

All passengers and vehicles have now been discharged from the vessel. A small number of passengers and crew were dealt with by South East Coast Ambulance Service at the scene. Four of those passengers were taken to hospital for further checks; none are believed to have suffered serious injuries.

Our first priority is to ensure safety of all those involved and we are supporting DFDS and emergency services in supporting passengers affected by this incident.

The crew of the Dover Seaways and our own team have immediately put emergency plans into practice to ensure the safety of those on board. The vessel, Dover Seaways, is safely berthed in the Eastern Docks. We praise all concerned for their swift response.

Naturally the incident will be subject to our own internal investigation and that of the appropriate statutory authorities

– Port of Dover Authority
Load more updates