Sam Burgess has become the first English winner of the Rugby League International Federation's International Player of the Year Award.
Burgess, who defied a fractured eye socket and cheekbone to help South Sydney to victory in the NRL Grand Final, received the prestigious award at the Royal International Convention Centre in Brisbane, where the 2014 Four Nations Series gets under way without him on Saturday.
The former Bradford forward will link up with Bath next week ahead of his cross-code switch, although he will not be able to make his rugby union debut until December as he recovers from the injuries he sustained in the first tackle of the match against Canterbury Bulldogs earlier this month.
RLIF chairman Nigel Wood said: "He is a worthy recipient and deserves to be recognised for his achievements over the past year on the international stage as well as in the NRL competition."
Leeds president Massimo Cellino's court trial in Sardinia for tax evasion has been delayed.
The trial was due to take place on Thursday, but the judge has had to step down due to a conflict of interest.
Judge Dr Sandra Lepore convicted Cellino for failing to pay tax on his yacht Nelie in March and cannot hear the second case involving another yacht, Lucky 23.
Cellino was fined around £400,000 for the earlier conviction.
The appeal judge who overturned that decision ruled that if Judge Lepore confirmed in her written report that the tax evasion in the Nelie case had been a deliberate act of dishonesty then Cellino would fail the League's 'owners and directors' test.
Judge Lepore has since stated there was "elusive intent" and "Machiavellian simulation" by Cellino and the League is under mounting pressure to force him to sell the club.
Everton fans were attacked by up to 100 hooligans outside a bar in Lille ahead of their Europa League tie this eveningRead the full story ›
Total ticket applications more than five million, a higher level of demand than any of the previous seven Rugby World Cup tournamentsRead the full story ›
England manager Roy Hodgson has leapt to the defence of Raheem Sterling, saying the Liverpool winger has been treated unfairly by the press.
Sterling was blasted by former professionals and the press after Hodgson revealed he did not start for England against Estonia because he was 'tired'.
Speaking to students at the Cambridge Union, Hodgson said: "With young Raheem Sterling this week, it guts me to see that sort of treatment.
"It’s totally unfair and totally wrong. It’s suiting people’s agendas. But, you know, he’ll be stronger for it. Is that right? Of course it’s not right! But I can’t turn the clock back, I’m living in 2014, I can’t go back to Downton Abbey!”
Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher says Mario Balotelli was a panic buy and would be surprised if he was at the club next seasonRead the full story ›
Roy Hodgson's England have dropped two places to 20th in FIFA's latest world rankings, despite a 100% record in their ongoing Euro 2016 campaign.
World Cup winners Germany unsurprisingly sit at number one, with runners-up Argentina in second and exciting South America outfit Colombia in third.
Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli will be reprimanded by manager Brendan Rodgers after swapping shirts with Real Madrid's Pepe at half-timeRead the full story ›
Footballer Ched Evans has confirmed his lawyers have issued an application to appeal his rape conviction and "clear his name" following his release from prison.
Speaking alongside his girlfriend Natasha Massey in a video statement posted on his website, the 25-year-old Evans said he made an "incredibly foolish decision" to cheat on his partner but said the sexual encounter with a woman in a hotel room that saw him convicted of rape was "consensual".
The former Wales international and Sheffield United player, who was released from jail last Friday after serving half of a five-year jail term, added:
It is a rare and extraordinary privilege to be permitted to play professional football. Now that I have served the custodial part of my sentence of two and a half years, it is my hope that I will be able to return to football...
...I don't believe I have a given right to play again. But for any club to take me on I have learned a valuable lesson and know that over time I can prove myself to be a positive influence.
Ched Evans has issued a video statement asking for a "second chance" to resume his professional football career after serving a prison sentence for rape.
The former Sheffield United striker, sitting alongside his girlfriend Natasha Massey, said it was his "hope" to return to the game, adding: "If that is possible then I will do so with humility having learned a very painful lesson."
Evans said he remained "determined to continue the fight to clear my name" in the video released on his personal website.