There are 4143 results for "scotland"

Badly burned boy named as 7-year-old Preston Flores

A young boy who was badly burned in a Scottish city street has been moved to a specialist hospital unit and remains in a critical condition, police said.

Seven-year-old Preston Flores was found "on fire" by shocked neighbours in Bedford Avenue, Aberdeen, on Friday at about 2pm.It is thought petrol could have been involved.

Read more: Seven-year-old in hospital after Aberdeen 'petrol incident'

Police: No evidence fire incident was a deliberate act

Police investigating how a young boy got seriously burned after being "on fire" in a city street say there is no evidence so far of any deliberate act.

A neighbour said he was on fire from the neck down.

Chief inspector Nick Topping, the local Police Scotland area commander, said

So far there has been no evidence of any deliberate act and our inquiries continue.

We are supporting the family at this time and are continuing to speak to members of the local community to establish the full circumstances.

Advertisement

Bomb squad called to tower block in Edinburgh

A tower block has been evacuated as bomb disposal crews investigate the discovery of "suspicious items".

Fidra Court, in the Muirhouse area of Edinburgh, was evacuated last night.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: "Police responding to a fire at Fidra Court this evening discovered a number of suspicious items. "Properties in the area are being evacuated."

Bomb disposal experts are at the scene, the spokesman confirmed.

Police say Aberdeen incident 'involved petrol'

Police in Aberdeen have issued a statement confirming that a seven-year-old boy suffered burns this afternoon after an incident that "involved petrol".

A seven-year-old boy is undergoing treatment following an incident in Bedford Avenue in Aberdeen. It was reported to us at 2pm this afternoon. The incident involves petrol and the boy has quite serious burns. Police are at the scene and following a positive line of inquiry."

Seven-year-old burns victim 'screaming and crying'

Eyewitnesses have described the scenes after a seven-year-old boy suffered burns in an incident in Aberdeen this afternoon.

Victoria Jayne Pirie said the boy was on fire from "the neck downwards", while Shona Henderson described the boy's clothes "sticking to his skin" before somebody poured water over him to douse the flames.

Police have said they are investigating the incident and trying to establish whether petrol was involved.

Read: Seven-year-old in hospital after Aberdeen 'petrol incident'

Seven-year-old boy burned in 'petrol' incident

A seven-year-old boy is being treated for serious burns after reports that he was "on fire" in an Aberdeen street.

The incident happened in Bedford Avenue, Aberdeen. Credit: Google Maps

Police said they received "reports of a boy on fire" at around 2pm and are following a positive line of inquiry.

Petrol was said to have been used in the incident and the boy was taken to Royal Aberdeen Children's Hospital where his injuries have been described as serious.

A force spokesman said: "A seven-year-old boy is undergoing treatment following an incident in Bedford Avenue in Aberdeen. It was reported to us at 2pm this afternoon.

"The incident involves petrol and the boy has quite serious burns. Police are at the scene and following a positive line of inquiry."

Advertisement

Spectacular Kelpies sculpture unveiled in Falkirk

Dramatic sculptures celebrating Scotland's horse-powered heritage have been unveiled in Falkirk.

The Kelpies sculpture was designed by Andy Scott
The Kelpies sculpture was designed by Andy Scott Credit: Danny Lawson/PA Wire/Press Association Images

The colossal 30-metre high Kelpie sculptures tower above the Forth & Clyde canal to form a gateway to the canal entrance on the East Coast of Scotland.

The Kelpies are 30 meteres high and weigh over 300 tonnes each
The Kelpies are 30 meteres high and weigh over 300 tonnes each Credit: Andrew Milligan/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Each Kelpie weights over 300 tonnes, and were sculpted by Andy Scott.

Nato deploys warships to Baltic Sea

Minesweepers from Nato Mine Countermeasures Group 1 in Campbeltown Loch, Scotland. Credit: Steve Crowther

Nato is sending part of its naval rapid reaction force to the Baltic Sea as part of measures to reassure eastern European allies in response to the continuing situation in Ukraine, Reuters has reported.

The ships from Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium and Estonia make up one of four NATO naval groups that the alliance has available as an immediate reaction force. It is hoped the deployment will reassure member states nervous after Russia's annexation of crimea.

Nato has so far made clear that it does not plan to get involved militarily in Ukraine, which is not member.

More: Ukraine talks: 'Finishing touches' put to joint deal

Load more results