Live updates

Koeman wants Man United captain to rejoin Everton

Koeman is keen to sign Wayne Rooney in the summer. Credit: PA

Everton manager Ronald Koeman has opened the door for Wayne Rooney to return to Goodison Park.

Manchester United's record goalscorer has been linked with a move back to his boyhood club, having struggled to hold down a regular place under Jose Mourinho.

Rooney's agent was in China this month, seemingly to sound out interest in his client, but the 31-year-old player last week issued a statement insisting he was staying at Old Trafford.

However, his long-term future remains in doubt, and Koeman is ready to make a move in the summer to bring Rooney back to where it all began.

The Dutchman told Sky Sports:

I believe that Wayne Rooney is still playing at a high level. I think he made a good choice to stay at Manchester United and in the Premier League because he has still two or three years in front of him to play on a high level.

What will happen at the end of the season? I don't know but in my opinion he is one of the players who can make Everton more stronger.

It's all about what the player likes, what Manchester United needs to do, and we are not involved in that project. But every player that we at Everton think can make the team stronger is welcome to Everton.

– Everton manager Ronald Koeman

Advertisement

Fuchs: Leicester used media coverage as motivation

Leicester defender Christian Fuchs insists the managerless Foxes must build on their win over Liverpool.

Leicester were worthy 3-1 winners over Liverpool. Credit: PA

The champions beat the Reds 3-1 on Monday, just four days after Claudio Ranieri was sacked, to lift themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone.

They are two points above the bottom three and host fellow strugglers Hull on Saturday with caretaker manager Craig Shakespeare aiming to cement his chances of the job.

Shakespeare has backing from within the club and the squad and Fuchs knows the importance of continuing their revival following Ranieri's controversial exit, just nine months after he delivered a shock Premier League title.

He told the club's official site: "There were lot of things written in the media but it fired us up and we wanted to show what we were made of with a lot of untruths written. You saw the Leicester from last season.

"Every game for us is now a final, we want to stay in the league and we can build on that game.

"We were fired up from minute one. This season we were trailing a lot but were were going up 1-0, 2-0 and even 3-0. It's good for our game, it didn't happen too often until now.

Motherwell part company with manager Mark McGhee

McGhee has been dismissed by Motherwell. Credit: PA

Motherwell have parted company with manager Mark McGhee, the Scottish Premiership club have announced in a statement.

The Steelmen have lost lost four Ladbrokes Premiership game in a row, conceding 17 goals in that run.

Fans protested against McGhee during and after Saturday's 5-1 home defeat by Dundee which left the Lanarkshire club 10th in the table, three points above bottom side Hamilton.

Sale Sharks announce signing of Josh Strauss

Sale have announced the signing of Scotland international Josh Strauss, with the Glasgow Warrior agreeing terms on a three-year deal with the Sharks.

Strauss has joined from Glasgow Warriors. Credit: PA

The 30-year-old South Africa-born back-row has made 11 appearances for Scotland and has been hailed as a "world-class" signing by the Sharks' director of rugby, Steve Diamond.

"He has been performing well for both Glasgow and Scotland over the past five years and will compliment the squad in the ball-carrying department," Diamond said.

"He is a leader and a very powerful athlete. The new owners Simon Orange and Ged Mason are keen to help Sale Sharks become one of the leading clubs and signings like Josh will help our cause."

Strauss was ruled out of the Six Nations after Scotland's meetings with Ireland and France with a knee injury.

The player added: "Since coming to the UK I always had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to play in the Premiership, which is a highly-rated competition by players in South Africa.

"I signed for Glasgow and needed to sign for a second term in order to qualify to play for the national side. I have really enjoyed my time with the Warriors but I asked my agent to look around in the Premiership for me."

Advertisement

Leeds and Huddersfield managers banned

Monk and Wagner have both been banned for two games. Credit: PA

David Wagner and Garry Monk have been handed touchline bans by the Football Association for their roles in the touchline melee that marred Huddersfield's win over Leeds earlier this month.

Terriers boss Wagner has been handed a two-game ban while Monk will serve a one-match suspension after the pair were sent to the stands following a clash that sparked ugly scenes at the John Smith's Stadium.

Both clubs were fined £10,000 and warned about their future conduct after admitting FA charges of failing to control their players during Huddersfield's 2-1 win.

An FA statement read:

Huddersfield Town and Leeds United have each been fined £10,000 and warned as to their future conduct following their game on February 5, 2017.

Both clubs admitted an FA charge of failing to ensure their players and/or officials conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour in or around the 89th minute of the fixture. Furthermore, Huddersfield manager David Wagner and Leeds manager Garry Monk will serve touchline suspensions of two matches and one match respectively with immediate effect after being charged for misconduct in relation to the same game.

Mr Wagner admitted entering the field of play in or around the 89th minute, in contravention of FA Rule E3, but denied a further breach that his behaviour upon his return to the vicinity of the technical area amounted to improper conduct. However, this breach was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today.

He was also fined £6,000 and warned as to his future conduct. Mr Monk admitted a breach of FA Rule E3 in that in or around the 89th minute, his behaviour amounted to improper conduct. He was also fined £3,000 and warned as to his future conduct.

– FA statement
Load more updates