Top golfer Rory McIlroy has told ITV News that he hopes and expects the sport's governing body to "make the right decision" tonight.
The Royal And Ancient Golf club will announce the result of a vote on whether to allow female members at St Andrews, for the first time in its 260 year history.
It is expected the all male membership will approve the move this evening and immediately enrol 15 women.
I don't even think there should be a debate. Of course women should be allowed to join. I think it's been a long time coming, and it's definitely well overdue, and I'm sure they'll make the right decision in the end.
If it is approved it will mean only three major golf clubs will still have men only membership. Muirfield and Royal Troon in Scotland, and Royal St Georges in Kent.
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is set to announce whether it will allow female members for the first time in its 260-year-old history.
Women who made a "significant contribution" to golf will be first in line to join if the club votes in favour of the move.
Existing members of the club have voted via postal ballot with the result expected later today.
A spokesman for the club said: "Over 2,400 ballot papers have been sent out and the vote is independently scrutinised by Electoral Reform Services. A simple majority is required to effect the proposed change. Should the outcome be in favour of welcoming women members the decision will take immediate effect".
England's rugby union governing body has apologised "to those who may have taken offence" to the use of the Victoria Cross on the national side's new playing kit.
England's new Canterbury-manufactured shirts feature Victoria Cross designs that comprise numerous small rubber grips to help deaden the impact of the ball.
Victoria Cross Trust chairman Gary Stapleton criticised the Rugby Football Union (RFU) for having had no contact with the organisation over using the emblem on the kit, which was officially launched earlier this week.
Stapleton said the move "touched a raw nerve with a lot of people."
In a statement, the RFU said:
We would like to apologise to those who may have taken offence with our new kit. It was certainly never our intention to cause this.
We are huge supporters of our service personnel and respect and value their support for England.
We will be contacting the Victoria Cross Trust and the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association to see how we can support their worthwhile work going forwards.
The Victoria Cross, the British and Commonwealth armed forces' most prestigious medal, has only been awarded 1,354 times during its 158-year existence, most recently in 2012.
The new white England shirt will be worn for the first time when the side begin their autumn Test schedule aganist world champions New Zealand at Twickenham on November 8.
Newcastle winger Jonas Gutierrez has revealed he is having treatment after being diagnosed with testicular cancer in his native Argentina.
The popular midfielder said he has undergone chemotherapy after having surgery following the discovery of a tumour which was first noticed last year.
The 33-year-old appeared on Argentinian TV show Indirecto looking strikingly different without his trademark long hair and beard.
"When I was told I had cancer, I went home in tears," he told the show.
He added: "This is the most difficult match I've every played. You start thinking about important things when you have problems like this one."
After revealing his battle with cancer last night, the winger used Twitter to thank fans for their messages of support.
Gracias por todos los mensajes de apoyo. Mirando siempre para adelante. Thanks for all the messages. Always looking fordward.
A former Germany international goalkeeper claims he has been offered a contract to become a wrestler with World Wrestling Entertainment.Read the full story ›
Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon says Cristiano Ronaldo is 'fed up' with life at the Bernabeu and could return to Man UnitedRead the full story ›
Rio Ferdinand has hit out at former England team-mate John Terry, labelling the Chelsea skipper as 'the biggest idiot'Read the full story ›
Prince Harry's Invictus Games is hailed a success as it closes with star performances from the Kaiser Chiefs, Ellie Goulding and Diversity.Read the full story ›
Prince Harry says he wants to take his Invictus Games out of London and give the rest of the country a taste of its warrior spirit.
The international sporting event for wounded servicemen and women comes to an end on Sunday after five days of competition and Prince Harry said next time it could be staged in the north of England or Scotland before being taken abroad.
"We've now got America showing interest in 2016 and Canada showing interest in 2017, so the question is what do we do next year? I personally would love to keep it in the UK, maybe head north whether it be Glasgow, whether it be Sheffield, whether it be Manchester."
Players supporting Stonewall initiative to tackle homophobia in football by wearing rainbow-coloured boot laces on the field this weekendRead the full story ›