– Thailand's daily Nation newspaper
Chaleo Yoovidhya will be remembered as a business and marketing genius who put the Thai energy drink on the global map.
Born in central Thailand's Pichit province to a Chinese father and a Thai mother who reportedly sold fruit and ducks to survive:
- Mr Chaleo died the third richest man in Thailand
- He started a small company, TC Pharmaceuticals, in the 1960s
- He formulated an energy drink prototype a decade later called Krathing Daeng, or Red Bull
- Chaleo was married with five children
He reportedly died of natural causes.
Chaleo Yoovidhya, who rose from poverty to become one of the world's richest men thanks to astute marketing of the 'Red Bull' energy drink, has died in his native Thailand. Chaleo was ranked 205th on the Forbes list of the world's wealthiest people, with a fortune it put at £2.7 billion.