After seeking advice from an external Independent QC, and having considered the evidence and Magistrates' Court decision in the John Terry case, The FA has today charged the Chelsea player following an alleged incident that occurred during the Queens Park Rangers versus Chelsea fixture at Loftus Road on 23 October 2011.
It is alleged that Terry used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards Queens Park Rangers’ Anton Ferdinand, contrary to FA rules.
It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Anton Ferdinand.
– THE FA
This charge is the result of The FA’s long-standing enquiries into this matter, which were placed on hold pending the outcome of the criminal trial, and relates to rules governing football only.
During this period John Terry remains available to play for England.
Terry has until 3 August 2012 to respond.
The FA will make no further comment during this time.
John Terry's comments towards Anton Ferdinand were racist, despite the Chelsea captain being cleared of any crime, according to the mother of murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence.
The England defender was cleared of a racially aggravated public order offence on Friday.
Asked by MPs about the race row, Doreen Lawrence said:
"Regardless of the outcome of that judgement, I feel that his behaviour is something that should not be seen as anything more than a racist thing and that should have been addressed straight away and not left hanging for months.
"Young people still see him and hold him as one of their heroes and that's not right."
Ms Lawrence spoke as she gave evidence to the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee about the Independent Police Complaints Commission
Ms Lawrence sat in the public gallery during Terry's trial last week.
– FA spokesman
The FA notes the decision in the John Terry case and will now seek to conclude its own inquiries. The FA will make no further comment at this time
Former footballer and BBC presenter Garth Crooks argued Terry should still face action from the FA despite his defence.
I believe it was wrong of him to say these words under any circumstances - and though Terry has been found not to have committed a criminal offence, the FA must now decide whether the former England captain should be charged for contravening its own rules.
If the FA don't act on the undisputed facts, and find Terry guilty of bringing the game into disrepute, a lot of good people are saying to me that there's no point in getting involved in the game at a senior level.
The Football Association has been urged to punish John Terry despite the Chelsea captain being cleared of hurling racial abuse at another player.
The FA have said they will study the findings of the court case before deciding whether or not to bring any proceedings against the 31-year-old.
Terry was acquitted of a racially aggravated public order offence by chief magistrate Howard Riddle at Westminster Magistrates' Court yesterday.
Sketches from inside court as Chelsea and England defender John Terry is cleared of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand:
Anton Ferdinand made no comment to reporters as he joined his QPR team mates to take a flight from Heathrow this evening.
John Terry's PR representative Phil Hall has tweeted:
John Terry not guilty. Credible witness, said the judge. Very emotional end to trialFrom @PhilHall_PHA on Twitter:
The Daily Telegraph's football correspondent Henry Winter and The Daily Star's chief sports writer Brian Woolnough have tweeted:
Re Terry 1: hugely problematical for FA to make case v Terry post-acquittal - even with differing 'proof' criteria. Legal minefield for FAFrom @henrywinter on Twitter:
Can John Terry get through next season without off-pitch distraction?From @WoolnoughBrian on Twitter:
Former Labour Cabinet Minister, Chelsea fan and anti-apartheid campaigner Peter Hain has tweeted: