Boy dies in propellor tragedy

A teenage boy has died after he fell from a boat and was apparently hit by its propellor. The 14-year-old from Surrey died after the accident off The Needles landmark on the Isle of Wight yesterday.

Live updates

Dorset to Isle of Wight trip ends in tragedy

  • The privately-owned boat was travelling from Dorset to the Isle of Wight
  • It had four people from Surrey on board when the incident happened
  • They were the 14-year-old boy, who later died, and his father, a man aged in his 50s, who was the driver and owner of the boat
  • Two other boys, both aged 14, were school friends of the family and one of those was seriously injured

Police to name Isle of Wight boy after formal identification

Immediate next-of-kin of the 14-year-old boy who died after he fell from a boat in the Isle of Wight, have now been informed but police will not confirm his name until formal identification has been completed, police said.

An initial post-mortem examination will take place in the next few days.

Although the death is not being treated as suspicious, it is routine procedure for specialist detectives to make initial inquiries into the sudden death of someone aged under 18.

We are providing support for the other three people on board the boat to help ensure their welfare, and to establish the exact circumstances surrounding the death.

A second 14-year-old boy from Surrey received a serious injury, which was not life-threatening. He is receiving treatment at St Mary's Hospital on the Isle of Wight.

An adult man and a third 14-year-old boy from Surrey were not injured.

– Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Floyd Higginson from Hampshire Police

The boy who died had been airlifted to Southampton General Hospital by a Coastguard rescue helicopter. For more information visit the ITV Meridian website.

Advertisement

Boy dies in boat propellor accident

The 14-year-old boy who died after he fell from a boat and was apparently hit by its propellor, police confirmed earlier.

The teenager from Surrey, who has not been named, was pronounced dead in hospital after the accident off The Needles landmark on the Isle of Wight on Friday afternoon.

The dead boy was on a rigid hull inflatable boat with two other boys aged 14 and an adult male when he fell off.

Another boy received non-life-threatening injuries when he too fell from the RHIB.

Police said the death is not being treated as suspicious. Visit the ITV Meridian website for details.

Back to top