- 28 updates
Seven people including David Cameron's former spin doctor Andy Coulson are due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court charged over the phone hacking scandal.
Former News of the World editor Coulson is accused, along with ex-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former head of news Ian Edmondson, ex-chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck and former reporter James Weatherup.
They all face one general charge of alleged phone hacking between October 2000 and August 2006 that could affect as many as 600 victims, along with other specific accusations.
Former Deputy Prime Minister, John Prescott, has said that politicians need to learn their lesson in the wake of the phone hacking scandal.
Speaking to Daybreak, Lord Prescott, said: "Most prime ministers and leaders take the view that they have to have a good relationship with Murdoch and I think politicians need to learn their lessons."
Eight people including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson were among eight people charged over phone hacking yesterday.
Former Liberal Democrat MP and hacking victim Mark Oaten has told ITV News he feels sorry for the eight people charged in relation to phone hacking.
Mr Oaten, who received a court settlement following civil action against News International, said that "they have families who have been affected".
Police investigating phone hacking allegations have announced they are not taking any further action against three people previously arrested: freelance reporter Ternia Taras, former News of the World reporter Ross Hall and Raoul Simons, who is now at The Times.
The Crown Prosecution Service has issued this statement after it emerged that former NoW news editor Ian Edmondson first learnt he would face charges through a press conference earlier today.
The eight charged in relation to phone hacking will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on August 16, the Crown Prosecution Service said.
David Cameron's former head of communications Andy Coulson said he was "extremely disappointed" by the CPS's decision to charge him over alleged phone hacking.
Mr Coulson added that he "wouldn't and more importantly didn't do anything to damage the Milly Dowler investigation".
David Cameron's former spin doctor Andy Coulson said that he never had done anything to harm the Milly Dowler investigation and would "fight these allegations".
Ian Edmondson, one of those charged in relation to phone hacking, first learnt that he would face proceedings through today’s Crown Prosecution Service press conference, ITV News has been told.
Solicitors for the former News of the World news editor have told us neither he nor his legal team were informed before the statement was made on live television.
“He has learned about the charges he will face from the reports of the CPS press conference earlier today,” Edmondson’s solicitors told ITV News, "rather than because he or his lawyers were informed this morning as has been suggested by the CPS."
Today Edmondson told ITV News: "For the past 18 months my family and I have suffered in silence. I have not given interviews or spoken out in order to get my points across or to correct reported lies or inaccuracies.
"I have much to say on this subject and I now look forward to saying it. I will clear my name at trial when the truth finally emerges.’
Latest ITV News reports
Eight people including the PM's former head of communications Andy Coulson will face charges over phone hacking.
Prosecutors will announce today whether they will bring charges over twelve people arrested over alleged phone hacking.