The Irish Daily Star has confirmed that former editor Michael O'Kane followed the correct editorial processes when the newspaper decided to publish topless pictures of the Duchess of Cambridge.
– Irish Daily Star statement
As a result of the publication on 15 September 2012, issues arose with the shareholders of Independent Star Limited.
Having considered those issues in tandem with Mr O'Kane, it is Mr O'Kane's decision to resign as editor of the Irish Daily Star, effective immediately.
Mr O'Kane acted at all times in a highly professional and appropriate manner and in the best interests of the newspaper.
The editor of the Irish Daily Star newspaper has resigned following the controversial publication of topless holiday photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.
Michael O'Kane was suspended following the publication of the pictures which were taken when Kate and Prince William were on holiday in France.
William & Kate: The South Seas Tour tells the story of the Diamond Jubilee tour that became much tougher for the royal couple then they could have expected. Mary Nightingale was on the tour with them and saw all the highs and lows.
William & Kate: The South Seas Tour is on ITV1 and ITV1HD on Sunday at 10.20pm.
An overwhelming 82% of the British public think it was wrong of a French magazine to publish photos of Catherine Duchess of Cambridge sunbathing topless, and 72% think the Royal Family is right to sue, according to a YouGov poll. According to the findings:
- 89% of women believe the magazine was wrong to publish the photos, and only 5% think it was right.
- 75% of men were against the photos being published, while 15% said the magazine was right to do so.
- 65% of men believe the Royals are right to sue, while 23% said they should not take legal action.
- 79% of women think the Royal Family is right to take legal action against the magazine, and 14% think they should not.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are understood to be considering their options after a Danish magazine said it planned to publish more topless pictures of Kate.
SE og HØR, a weekly celebrity magazine in Denmark, announced it will print the photographs in a 16-page supplement today.
The royal couple are understood to be considering a variety of measures to prevent further distribution of the topless photos.
A St James's Palace source said: ''We are aware of the plans of a Danish magazine to publish further images.
''All options are under consideration at the moment.''
The editor of the Swedish magazine that has decided to publish topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge, Carina Lofkvist, said she bought the pictures "like we buy any other pictures".
"We get an offer and we say yes or no, and in this case we said yes because we think they are a lovely couple," she told the BBC's Newsnight programme. She said she did not regret the decision.
Asked whether she cared that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge sid not want the photos to be published, she said they had been bought on Friday 14th before the scandal arose.
She added: "We dont treat them any differently [than other celebrities] if they're royal".
Danish magazine SE og HØR has gone to print with a 16-page supplement featuring the topless holiday photos of the Duchess of Cambridge.
Here is an excerpt of the controversial edition's front cover:
The Swedish sister magazine of the Danish publication that will release the topless photos of the Duchess of Cambridge in a supplement tomorrow has already published the unauthorised images of the British royal.
According to the Associated Press, Sweden's Se & Hor magazine defended its actions, saying it treated the shots of the duchess in the same way it covers the private lives of Hollywood's A-listers.
Carina Lofkvist, the chief editor of the magazine, said:
It is nothing new to us to publish nude photos of celebrities on holiday. No one complains when [stars appear naked] and we print the photos.
A photographer who took photos of the Duchess of Cambridge in a bikini on the same balcony in Provence that she appeared topless has denied taking the infamous shots of the royal.
Valerie Suau, whose long-lens photos were published in a French newspaper, told The Times:
I don’t know who took the pictures but when I got there, there were some cars parked along the road that didn’t particularly look like they belonged to locals.
The couple were visible from the road but there was nothing to stop someone getting closer by going between the trees.
SE og HØR further defended the decision to publish the photos of Kate, claiming it has taken a similar stance to a string of gossip magazines across Europe.
Editors of gossip magazines in Sweden, Finland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, and Italy as well as a string of other countries have taken the same decision.
The magazine confirmed the contested images will only be released in print.
The pictures will not be shown digitally at seoghør.dk, so you will have to buy the magazine to enjoy the royal bosom.