- 177 updates
A California man linked to an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world has been held without bond at his bail hearing in Los Angeles, Reuters has reported.
The presiding judge cited Nakoula Basseley Nakoula's "pattern of deception" and said the 55-year-old could be a flight risk.
Nakoula has been under investigation by probation officials looking into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction while making the film.
A California man linked to an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world is in custody ahead of his bail hearing in Los Angeles, a court spokesman has said.
Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, 55, has been under investigation by probation officials looking into whether he violated the terms of his 2011 release from prison on a bank fraud conviction while making the film.
As a condition of his release, he was barred from accessing the Internet or using aliases without the permission of a probation officer.
An actress who said she was duped into appearing in an anti-Islam film that stoked violent protests across the Muslim world has taken her legal bid to federal court in a renewed effort to force it off YouTube.
The lawsuit filed by Cindy Lee Garcia names YouTube and its parent company Google Inc. as defendants, along with the Egyptian-American Coptic Christian from California believed to be behind the making of the film.
Last week, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge denied Garcia's request for a temporary restraining order that would have required YouTube to stop posting the crudely made 13-minute video, finding the actress was unlikely to prevail on the merits of her case in state court.
As in her previous lawsuit, Garcia accused the purported filmmaker of fraud, libel and unfair business practices. But her federal lawsuit also asserts a copyright claim to her performance in the video, titled "The Innocence of Muslims."
Cindy Lee Garcia, the actress in the anti-Islam film 'Innocence of Muslims' has told Daybreak that she was ‘devastated’ when she saw her lines had been duped.
- Cindy Lee Garcia's is the first-known civil lawsuit connected to the video that depicts the Prophet Mohammad as a womanizer and a fool.
- Garcia's lawyer, Cris Armenta asserted that third-party content distributors hold some responsibility for the content on their platforms.
- Google previously rejected a request by the White House to reconsider its decision to keep the clips on YouTube, but the company has blocked the trailer in certain Muslim countries such as Egypt and Libya.
- The White House had asked Google to evaluate whether the video violated YouTube's terms of service.
Cindy Lee Garcia's case also named YouTube and its parent company, Google Inc., as defendants for their role in distributing the short, crudely made film on the Internet.
A California state court judge on Thursday rejected her motion for an order for YouTube to pull the film off its site.
An actress suing the producer of an anti-Islam movie that has spawned violent protests across the Muslim world plans to drop her suit and file a new case in federal court over copyright claims, her lawyer has said.
Cindy Lee Garcia filed a lawsuit last week in a state court in Los Angeles against Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the California man thought to be behind the movie, claiming she was duped into playing a role and her life has been put at risk as a result.
More than 20 people were killed and nearly 200 injured following protests across Pakistan after officials declared Friday a national holiday 'Day of Love for the Prophet.' Protests continued over the weekend and more than 1,500 people took part in a rally in the capital Islamabad yesterday.
A Pakistani Cabinet minister offered a $100,000 reward for the death of the filmmaker.
Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Balor told The Associated Press that he would pay the reward out of his own pocket. The salary of member of Pakistan's government is about $2,500 a month - the bounty is equivalent to forty months of wages.
Scores of people were injured today in a clash in Bangladesh's capital between police and hundreds of demonstrators, as protests continued in the Muslim world against a film produced in the US that denigrates Islam's Prophet Mohammed.
In Pakistan, where more than 20 people died yesterday in clashes with police in different cities, a Cabinet minister offered a 100,000 US dollar reward for the death of the filmmaker.
Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Balor said he would pay the reward out of his own pocket.
Latest ITV News reports
A Pakistani minister offered $100,000 (£61,600) on Saturday for the death of an online filmmaker.
US Embassies across the Muslim world have come under attack and a US school in Tunisia set on fire in protests against the anti-Islam film.