- 123 updates
The Reuters news agency has released this image which it says shows Jeremy Forrest in a French police car.
He is still in police custody in Bordeaux as the extradition operation is gets under way.
Chief Inspector Jason Tingley said that Megan is in the care of British Consular staff and Sussex Police child protection team officers in France.
Jeremy Forrest is in custody in Bordeaux after his arrest and the process of his extradition to the UK will begin shortly, he said.
Megan's stepfather, Martin Stammers, said her family is "so relieved Megan has been found safe and well".
He said they can't wait to be reunited with her and that it had been an "emotional roller coaster".
He thanked Sussex and French Police as well as the media and general public.
He asked for privacy so the family could have time to "bond again as a family in private".
Chief Inspector Jason Tingley of Sussex Police has said that there were four possible sightings of Megan and Jeremy in France, and a number of unconfirmed reports elsewhere in Europe.
Three of the French sightings were in the south-west of the country.
He said a joint operation between French Police, SOCA and Sussex Police enabled one tip-off to be confirmed. French Police took a lead in locating the pair.
Megan's stepfather, Martin Stammers, and Chief Inspector Jason Tingley of Sussex Police will make a statement in the next few minutes.
There was relief at the gates of Megan Stammer's school in East Sussex after she was found safe and well.
Jeremy Forrest's parents - Jim and Julie Forrest - said in a statement they were pleased their son and 15-year-old Megan Stammers had been found safe and well.
- 21 September: At 12.30pm Megan is reported missing to police. At 9.20pm the 15-year-old and maths teacher Jeremy Forrest travel by ferry from Dover to Calais.
- 24 September: Police say a friend received a text message apparently from Megan, but not from her phone, saying she had arrived in France.
- 25 September: A European Arrest warrant is issued for Forrest. East Sussex County Council confirms an investigation was under way into a relationship between teacher and pupil.
- 27 September: BBC's Crimewatch features an appeal which prompted seven phone calls reporting possible sightings of the pair across Europe.
- 28 September: Sussex Poice confirm Megan and Forrest have been found "safe and well" in France.
Sussex Police are due to hold a press conference regarding Megan Stammer and Jeremy Forrest at 5.45pm.
Latest ITV News reports
Runaway teacher Jeremy Forrest will return to the UK after he agreed to his extradition in court.
In Bordeaux they hoped to start a new life, but Megan Stammers is already back in the UK and now her teacher Jeremy Forrest is due in court.