G4S bosses quit over Olympics

Two G4S directors have resigned after a review of the way the company handled the Olympic security. However, Nick Buckles has kept his job as group chief executive.

Advertisement

Boris Johnson agrees with G4S resignations

G4S bosses were right to quit over the Olympics fiasco, London Mayor Boris Johnson told LBC radio on Friday.

The rank and file, the troops on the ground, did a wonderful job, but when you look at what happened in the management of those hordes of G4S employees who did a great job, I'm not going to try and persuade them to stay this morning."

– BORIS JOHNSON

G4S takes steps to avoid another 'shambles'

G4S Olympics
G4S failed to provide enough security staff to work at London 2012 Credit: ITV News

G4S says it will appoint a chief operating officer to work closely with chief executive Nick Buckles on customer service and project delivery.

It has also promised to carry out more rigorous risk assessments of new contracts and will demand board-level oversight on contracts where annual revenues exceed £50 million.

G4S said its board had decided that it was in the best interests of the company and its shareholders that Buckles remains as chief executive.

Buckles, who admitted to MPs that the Games staffing episode had been a "humiliating shambles", was not guilty of any significant shortcomings in his performance, the company said.

Advertisement

G4S directors quit over Olympics failure

G4S director David Taylor-Smith (left) has quit, but Nick Buckles (r) has kept his job
G4S director David Taylor-Smith (left) has quit, but Nick Buckles (r) has kept his job Credit: PA

Two G4S directors have resigned in the wake of an independent review into the company's botched Olympic Games contract.

Chief operating officer David Taylor-Smith and Ian Horseman Sewell, who is head of global events, are to carry the can for the fiasco but chief executive Nick Buckles will remain in his post.

Ian Horseman Sewell (r) has resigned along with David Taylor-Smith Credit: PA
Ian Horseman Sewell (r) has resigned along with David Taylor-Smith Credit: PA Credit: PA

The report by PwC found that monitoring and tracking of the security workforce was inadequate and that management failed to appreciate the scale and exact nature of the project.

G4S fulfilled 83% of contracted shifts at the Games, failing to provide all of the 10,400 contracted guards and forcing the Government to step in with military personnel.

Two quit but G4S chief exec keeps his job

David Taylor-Smith (left) has quit, but Nick Buckles (r) has kept his job
G4S director David Taylor-Smith (left) has quit, but Nick Buckles (r) has kept his job Credit: PA

The group chief executive of G4S, Nick Buckles, remains in his post on Friday after two directors quit in the wake of a review into the company's Olympic Games contract.

Ian Horseman Sewell (r) has resigned along with David Taylor-Smith
Ian Horseman Sewell (r) has resigned along with David Taylor-Smith Credit: PA

G4S's chief operating officer David Taylor-Smith and global events specialist Ian Horseman Sewell have quit.