- 31 updates
- FirstGroup, who were due to take over the running of the West Coast Main Line in December, will no longer be awarded the franchise.
- The Department for Transport will no longer contest the judicial review sought by Sir Richard Branson's company Virgin Rail - who currently run the service.
- Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin has ordered two independent reviews into the competition process.
- An announcement is expected later today about the suspension of government staff while investigations are conducted.
- The Government has paused all other outstanding franchise competitions.
- Officials have now been asked to examine the options for the operation of the service after December 9.
Liberal Democrats president Tim Farron tweeted:
Latest ITV News reports
The mess that is emerging over the bidding process for the West Coast Main Line will be costly and raise the question of re-nationalisation.
The decision to award FirstGroup the West Coast Main Line rail franchise has been cancelled, the Department for Transport said.