Cocktail teen stomach removed

An 18-year-old woman from Heysham in Lancashire has had part of her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

Latest ITV News reports

Advertisement

Lancaster licensing chief 'tried nitrogen cocktail'

Lancaster's licensing chief has said he tried the cocktail containing liquid nitrogen that a teenager drank before needing an operation to remove her stomach.

Councillor Paul Aitchison, chairman of Lancaster City Council's Licensing Act Committee, said he went to Oscar's wine bar a few months ago and tried the same Nitro Jagermeister cocktail that Gaby Scanlon, 18, drank on Thursday night.

Mr Aitchison, 20, said:

I heard about this story this morning and I was quite shocked because I have actually tried it myself.

It was quite scary to think that it could have possibly happened to me.

I thought it sounded interesting, that's probably one of the draws.

You assume the drinks served in licensed premises will be safe. I didn't have an adverse reaction to it.

Unfortunately Gaby has and my heart goes out to her and I hope that she gets better.

Cocktail teen's school 'shocked and upset'

Gaby is one of our most hardworking and mature students who had simply gone out to celebrate her birthday. Our whole school community is shocked and upset at what has happened.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Gaby, her family and her friends who are obviously upset and distressed. We are pleased to hear that she is making better than expected progress.

– RIPLEY ST THOMAS HIGH SCHOOL, LANCASTER

For more on this story visit ITV Granada.

Expert warns of super-chilled cocktail dangers

Prof John Ashton, a public health expert based in Cumbria, has warned of the dangers of drinking super-chilled cocktails after a Lancashire teen had to have part of her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

Prof Ashton told ITV Granada: "It's extremely dangerous. You've got alcohol, which in itself is dangerous, we've got liquid nitrogen which is a dangerous chemical.

"People should not be fooling around with these sorts of things."

What is liquid nitrogen?

by Dr John Carr: The University of Cambridge

Liquid nitrogen is a liquefied gas with a boiling point of -196C. When it changes to vapour at anything above that temperature it takes in an awful lot of heat and expands to about 700 times its liquid volume.

It is dangerous because it is so cold and because it expands so rapidly.

Liquid Nitrogen has become increasingly popular as a method of 'flash freezing' food. Credit: Press Association

Liquid nitrogen will cause very rapid cold damage to flesh, and if the volume expands in a confined space it will expand and force out the oxygen, the body only detects when carbon dioxide arises not when the oxygen level is low and so it is very insidious.

Because the liquid nitrogen basically explodes in to its gas form when it comes in to contact with water because of the massive heat exchange it would cause rapid distension and may even explode in a confided space like the stomach.

It is has become increasingly popular in kitchens and is used to flash freeze foods. When used in this way on a water containing substance there is no formation of ice crystals, so the material remains a better texture.

But because it is so dangerous it must always be treated with caution and never ingested.

Advertisement

18-year-old 'seriously ill' after drinking lethal cocktail

Gaby Scanlon
Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday Credit: Twitter: Gabyscanlon

18-year-old Gaby Scanlon remains seriously ill in hospital after drinking a cocktail with liquid nitrogen. Doctors were forced to remove her stomach to save her life.

Police say her condition is serious, but stable, and she appears to have been well enough to send a tweet from her bed.

For more on this story go to ITV Granada.

Teenager 'breathless' after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

An investigation in underway after an 18-year-old woman was taken ill during a night out in Lancaster city centre on Thursday evening.

The teenager reported feeling feeling breathless after drinking the lethal cocktail, according to The Westmorland Gazette.

She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary where she diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.

Woman has stomach removed after drinking lethal cocktail

An 18-year-old woman from Lancashire has had her stomach removed after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen.

The young woman who remains seriously ill in hospital, had been drinking at a bar in Lancaster on Thursday night. The drink also contained Jaegermeister.

A Lancashire Police spokesperson said:

The girl, who is from Heysham, had been out with friends on Thursday evening and reported feeling breathless after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen. She then developed severe stomach pain and was taken to Lancaster Royal Infirmary at about 11pm. There she was diagnosed with a perforated stomach and underwent emergency surgery to remove her stomach.

The investigation is still in its early stages and we are still interviewing witnesses to establish the full facts.

The premises involved have fully cooperated with all agencies and have suspended drinks involving liquid nitrogen.

For more on this story, visit ITV Granada.