Members of the public were duped into donating thousands of pounds to fund a massive suicide terror attack planned for Britain, a court heard today.
Irfan Naseer, 31, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali, both 27, were among a group of men who posed as collectors from the Muslim Aid charity, to carry out street collections and door-to-door pleas for cash in Birmingham and Leicester last year.
But the charity received just a fraction of the Ramadan collection cash in August last year, with the vast majority being kept to finance the plot, the jury at Woolwich Crown Court.
Notes found by police suggested that they collected £12,100 but the court was told they also lost £9,149.39 from their gains by using it to trade in foreign currency over four weeks.
The three men allegedly inspired by Al Qaeda are on trial accused of plotting a massacre which prosecutors claim could have killed more people than the 7/7 bombings.
The defendants deny the charges.
Irfan Naseer, 31, and Irfan Khalid, 27, travelled to Pakistan for terrorist training before returning to the UK in July last year, jurors at Woolwich Crown Court were told.
In one conversation, Naseer was heard agreeing that the July 7 attacks had not done enough damage because there were no nails in the bombs.
The two men, along with Ashik Ali, also 27, are accused of being "central figures" in the alleged extremist plot.
Ali told police in interview that the plan had involved him wearing a suicide vest as well as carrying a gun, the jury heard.