11:15 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013 Calendar
Mother of CO victim welcomes Corrie storyline
Carbon Monoxide awareness campaigner Stacey Rodgers from Huddersfield has welcomed a storyline in Coronation Street highlighting the dangers of the silent killer. Her son, Dominic, was killed after a leak from a boiler in her neighbour's house.
She hopes the events in the soap make people consider getting a CO alarm.
3:30 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013
Carbon monoxide safety tips
Know the main symptoms: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapsing and loss of consciousness. Keys signs are if symptoms clear up when you are away from home and come back when you return, or if other people in your household experience similar symptoms.
Watch out for soot or yellow/brown staining on or around your appliance.
For more tips visit:
3:14 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013
Corrie's carbon monoxide story 'already saving lives'
Jennie McAlpine, who plays Fiz in Coronation Street, has told
The People that the current carbon monoxide storyline is "already saving lives."
Hopefully it will get people to check their boilers and get carbon monoxide monitors.
There are 4,000 people a year who are affected and 50 die every year from something that could be very easily eliminated.
I've been told by the people at the Gas Safety Register the publicity surrounding the plotline has saved lives already.
– Jennie McAlpine
3:00 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, including gas, oil, wood and coal.
Your boiler could be leaking carbon monoxide
Credit: Rui Vieira/PA Wire
Carbon-based fuels are safe to use. It is only when the fuel does not burn properly that excess CO is produced, which is poisonous.
When CO enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.
You can't see it, taste it or smell it but CO can kill quickly without warning.
Health and Safety Executive website for more information.
2:55 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013
Millions still at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning
At least 35 million people in Britain are still at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, a new survey has found.
A survey for the
Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign - found that people mistakenly think that their smoke alarm will detect carbon monoxide.
Department of Health estimates that 50 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital, in the UK each year.
2:32 am, Wed 02 Jan 2013
Soap storyline warns of carbon monoxide dangers
A storyline in Coronation Street is warning homeowners about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fiz is in hospital after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning
Credit: ITV Coronation Street
Jennie McAlpine's character Fiz Stape was left in a critical condition on New Year's Eve after suffering gas poisoning from a faulty boiler.
The storyline has prompted a renewal of the
Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign to warn about the dangers of carbon monoxide.