- 5 updates
The mother of Stephen Lawrence told ITV Daybreak that since the Macpherson Report came out, that the Government is "moving backwards" over the 'stop and search' policy.
Her son was stabbed twenty years ago in South-East London.
The murder and police investigation become the subject of a wide ranging inquiry into policing with the Macpherson Report.
- April 1993: Stephen Lawrence was stabbed to death at a bus stop in Eltham, South-East London
- September 1994: Stephen's parents launch a private prosecution against Gary Dobson, Neil Acourt and Luke Knight, all three deny charges
- April 1996: Private prosecution collapses after a judge rules identification evidence by Duwayne Brooks was unreliable. The three are acquitted
- February 1999: The murder and police investigation become the subject of a wide ranging inquiry into policing - The Macpherson Report
- October 2007: The IPCC finds no evidence of corruption
- May 2011: The Court of Appeal agrees Dobson's 1996 acquittal can be quashed in the face of new forensic evidence
- November 2011: The trial of Dobson and Norris begins
- January 2012: Both are found guilty of Stephen Lawrence's murder
This year marks twenty years since the death of Stephen Lawrence, who was stabbed to death at a bus stop in London on April 22 1993.
His mother Doreen Lawrence is today announcing a series of events to celebrate her son's life.
The events of the SL20 Campaign will include:
- 26th February: Criminal Justice Lecture, held at Freshfields and delivered by Michael Mansfield QC
- April: A Major Concert, with big name stars to headline
- 22nd April: Memorial Service, held at St Martins-in-the-Fields and is a service to be held in honour of Stephens’s memory
- 17th September: Memorial Lecture, held at RIBA and delivered by Daniel Libeskind – architect of Ground Zero
- October: The Legacy Ball, held at the Dorchester with an exciting line up, this will be a fabulous evening
- There will also be a number of celebrity dinners throughout the year, hosted by celebrities like Ed Miliband, Hugh Quarshie and Jon Snow
One year ago today Doreen Lawrence finally saw two men sentenced for the murder of her son Stephen, almost twenty years after his death.
To mark the twentieth anniversary, Doreen and The Stephen Lawrence Trust are announcing a string of events to celebrate Stephen's life and legacy.
Stephen Lawrence was stabbed to death at a bus stop in Eltham on April 22 1993.
Two men were sentenced to life for Stephen's murder, Gary Dobson and David Norris, exactly one year ago today.