Doreen Lawrence: 'We need to see some action'
The mother of Stephen Lawrence told ITV Daybreak that since the Macpherson Report came out, that the Government is "moving backwards" over the 'stop and search' policy.
Her son was stabbed twenty years ago in South-East London.
The murder and police investigation become the subject of a wide ranging inquiry into policing with the Macpherson Report.
Doreen Lawrence: 'There is more to be done'
– Doreen Lawrence, mother and founder of the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust
It is hard to believe that 2013 will mark 20 years since Stephen died.
This time last year we faced the conviction of two of Stephen's killers and the relief I felt then has stayed with me through the extraordinary year that was 2012.
Despite this, our focus has to be on the next 20 years. There is more to be done to get justice for Stephen and to ensure that no other family has to go through what we endured.
Events to celebrate Stephen Lawrence's life
This year marks twenty years since the death of Stephen Lawrence, who was stabbed to death at a bus stop in London on April 22 1993.
His mother Doreen Lawrence is today announcing a series of events to celebrate her son's life.
The events of the SL20 Campaign will include:
- 26th February: Criminal Justice Lecture, held at Freshfields and delivered by Michael Mansfield QC
- April: A Major Concert, with big name stars to headline
- 22nd April: Memorial Service, held at St Martins-in-the-Fields and is a service to be held in honour of Stephens’s memory
- 17th September: Memorial Lecture, held at RIBA and delivered by Daniel Libeskind – architect of Ground Zero
- October: The Legacy Ball, held at the Dorchester with an exciting line up, this will be a fabulous evening
- There will also be a number of celebrity dinners throughout the year, hosted by celebrities like Ed Miliband, Hugh Quarshie and Jon Snow
Doreen Lawrence marks anniversary of her son's death
One year ago today Doreen Lawrence finally saw two men sentenced for the murder of her son Stephen, almost twenty years after his death.
To mark the twentieth anniversary, Doreen and The Stephen Lawrence Trust are announcing a string of events to celebrate Stephen's life and legacy.
Stephen Lawrence was stabbed to death at a bus stop in Eltham on April 22 1993.
Two men were sentenced to life for Stephen's murder, Gary Dobson and David Norris, exactly one year ago today.