Broadcaster in sex abuse case

Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall has pleaded not guilty to three charges of indecent assault on girls during the 1970s and 80s. He appeared this morning before Preston Magistrates.

Latest ITV News reports

Bail conditions for Stuart Hall after court appearance

Broadcaster Stuart Hall has been granted bail on condition he lives at his home address in Cheshire and has no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 17.

Stuart Hall leaving Preston Magistrates Court today
Stuart Hall leaving Preston Magistrates Court today Credit: PA Wire
Hall was bailed until April 16 for a next appearance at Preston Crown Court
Hall was bailed until April 16 for a next appearance at Preston Crown Court Credit: PA Wire

Advertisement

Broadcaster Stuart Hall in court on abuse charges

by Rob Smith, ITV Granada Correspondent
Broadcaster Stuart Hall arrives at Preston Magistrates Court
Broadcaster Stuart Hall arrives at Preston Magistrates Court Credit: PA Wire

Veteran broadcaster Stuart Hall is due before Preston Magistrates within the next few minutes. Hall is accused of sexual abuse against girls, the youngest aged 8.

The 82-year-old was arrested at his home in Cheshire, last month. He's already said, through his solicitor, that he denies the charges.

Advertisement

Stuart Hall's celebrated BBC career

Stuart Hall has been a familiar face and voice in British broadcasting for half a century:

  • Joined BBC in 1959 as a news reporter
  • Presented regional television news programmes in the north west
  • Hosted It's A Knockout and A Question of Sport in 1970s
  • Well known for his erudite match reports on Radio Five Live
  • Five Live presented a special Stuart Hall Night programme in 2009
  • Awarded OBE in 2012 New Year Honours

A BBC spokesman said that in light of the "very serious nature" of the charges, Mr Hall would not be working at the corporation while the case is ongoing.

Broadcaster Stuart Hall due in court on sexual abuse charges

Stuart Hall reports from football matches on Radio Five Live and presented BBC's It's A Knockout. Credit: PA

Veteran BBC broadcaster Stuart Hall will appear in court today accused of the sexual abuse of young girls.

The 82-year-old former It's A Knockout star will stand in the dock at Preston Magistrates Court to face three counts of indecent assault against three girls, aged between eight and 17, committed between 1974 and 1984.

He has said, through his solicitor, that he is innocent and denies the allegations.

Hall was charged on December 5th after being arrested at his home in Cheshire.