Gordon Strachan said the Scotland job is a "fantastic thing" and although they are bottom of their World Cup qualifying group they would "give it a go" in trying to qualify for the 2014 tournament in Brazil.
The new Scotland manager Gordon Strachan said:
GS: I want squad, staff to give something back to the country.
GS: Standard in Europe incredible at the moment. Harder to qualify for major finals now.
GS: Fans are fantastic. Games I have seen here they have given 100%. Can't ask for any more.
Gordon Strachan said his family and friends were "very, very proud" that he has become the manager of Scotland.
Former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan has been named the new Scotland boss. Here is a look at his career achievements:
- Gordon Strachan played for Dundee United, Aberdeen, Manchester United, Leeds United and Coventry City during his 28-year playing career.
- He won 10 trophies as a player including the Scottish Premier title, the European Cup Winners' Cup, the FA Cup and the Football league first division title.
- Strachan was capped 50 times for Scotland and featured in Scotland's 1982 and 1986 World Cup finals campaigns.
- He moved into management in November 1996 with Coventry City, had a spell at Southampton, before being appointed Celtic boss in 2005.
- Strachan won three successive titles at Celtic and led them into the last 16 of the Champions League on two occasions before leaving in May 2009.
- He had an unsuccessful spell at Middlesbrough and resigned in October 2010.
Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
Strachan: "Velocity" (walks off).
Reporter: "Gordon, do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?" Strachan: "I don't care, I'm Scottish."
Reporter: "Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?"
Strachan: "No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said: 'No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless.'"
Reporter: "Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?"
Strachan: "No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah."