- 15 updates
England stars past and present have gathered this evening for the inaugural FA England Awards as the national football body celebrates its 150th anniversary.
The Football Association ceremony, which will issue 11 awards to men's and women's teams of all levels, is being held at St George's Park in Burton Upon Trent.
Ahead of this evening's inaugural FA Awards, former national coach Kevin Keegan has declared defender Glen Johnson as his England Player of 2012.
He explained: “This year he has been a model of consistency for me and he just edges it over Joe Hart.
“This year Glen has matured and he looks the part. He looks very comfortable playing at that level which is not always easy to do. He's definitely been consistent and he's made a major contribution from his position."
Today's inaugural Football Association (FA) England Awards will recognize achievements in eleven different categories, they are as follows:
- Senior Men’s Player of the Year
- Senior Women’s Player of the Year
- England Men’s U21 Player of the Year
- England Women’s U23 Player of the Year
- England Men’s Youth Player of the Year
- England Women’s Youth Player of the Year
- Disability Player of the Year
- Club England Team of the Year
- England C Player of the Year
- FA Chairman David Bernstein will choose and present the Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Brian Woolnough Writers’ Award (in memory of the late Daily Star chief sports writer).
- The awards event will have a strong charitable association with the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research.
The inaugural Football Association (FA) England Awards will take place later today at St. George's Park, the new home of the FA's 24 England teams.
As part of the FA's 150th anniversary year celebrations, eleven awards will be presented in what will become an annual event.
The senior England team will be in attendance ahead of their friendly match against Brazil on Wednesday at Wembley Stadium.
Latest ITV News reports
Steven Gerrard has been voted the Football Association's England player of the year for the second time.