- 15 updates
Ofcom has announced the five phone operators that have won the 4G licenses - permits to run mobile networks at the kind of speed you get from your home broadband.
The winning companies are:
- Everything Everywhere Ltd.
- Hutchison 3G UK Ltd.
- Niche Spectrum Ventures Ltd (a subsidiary of BT Group plc).
- Telefónica UK Ltd.
- Vodafone Ltd.
What is 4G and how fast is it? Does it mean you need a new phone? Read our guide to the super fast service here.
Today's 4G auction results are important for a range of people:
- Companies who want the chance to provide the service
- Customers who might use 4G might use as much as double the amount of data and spend 10% more
- Many tech-savvy customers are hungry for more online power to use on the move
- At the Treasury, the expectation is that the 4G auction will bring in around £3.5 billion
UK mobile phone operators are expected to find out today who has won what in the auction of 4G licenses - permits to run mobile networks at a speed not far off the kind you get from broadband at home or work.
Latest ITV News reports
4G was meant to earn £3.5 billion for government yet only £2.3 billion was achieved in the auction of phone frequencies.
With the announcement that 4G is confirmed for rollout across the UK later this year, what does the future hold for mobile data services?