Ofcom has announced the five phone operators that have won the 4G licenses - permits to run mobile networks at the kind of speed you get from your home broadband.
The winning companies are:
- Everything Everywhere Ltd.
- Hutchison 3G UK Ltd.
- Niche Spectrum Ventures Ltd (a subsidiary of BT Group plc).
- Telefónica UK Ltd.
- Vodafone Ltd.
What is 4G and how fast is it? Does it mean you need a new phone? Read our guide to the super fast service here.
Today's 4G auction results are important for a range of people:
- Companies who want the chance to provide the service
- Customers who might use 4G might use as much as double the amount of data and spend 10% more
- Many tech-savvy customers are hungry for more online power to use on the move
- At the Treasury, the expectation is that the 4G auction will bring in around £3.5 billion
UK mobile phone operators are expected to find out today who has won what in the auction of 4G licenses - permits to run mobile networks at a speed not far off the kind you get from broadband at home or work.