UKIP MEP defector Marta Andreasen's praise of David Cameron's "game changing" keynote address on Britain's role in the EU appears to contradict statements she previously made about the Prime Minister's "naive" speech.
Following her defection to the Conservatives, Mrs Andreasen commended Mr Cameron after he "promised to turn around the European freight train, which is currently heading towards a deeper federal Europe with no options for Britain."
Yet the Oxford Mail quoted quite a different response from her last month, with her telling the newspaper:
– Marta Andreasen
He made a great speech but he obviously doesn’t know Brussels. Mr Cameron fundamentally fails to understand the federal EU freight train.
Whilst flexibility sounds great and was probably dreamed up by the Prime Minister whilst sitting in his slippers in Chequers, there is a different reality in Brussels.
I can assure the Prime Minister that there is no such thing as flexibility when it comes to the EU’s objective: a deeper federal Europe where member states’ sovereignty becomes an anachronism.
His speech therefore was naive. The train is on a one-way track.
– Nigel Farage, Leader of UKIP
Having left the OECD, the European Commission and Ukip in unpleasant circumstances the Conservative Party deserve what is coming to them. The woman is impossible.
The MEP Marta Andreasen has defected from the UK Independence Party to the Conservatives, saying it was partly due to the UKIP leader not deciding to stand in the upcoming Eastleigh by-election.
ITV News Deputy Political Editor Chris Ship reports on the Eastleigh by-election:
The Press Association political correspondent James Tapsfield has tweeted reaction from UKIP leader Nigel Farage to MEP Marta Andreasen's defection to the Conservatives:
Farage on Marta Andreasen defection: "Conservative Party deserve what's coming to them. The woman is impossible."
- Marta Andreasen was elected as a member of the European Parliament for United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) in 2009.
- In 2002, the Argentine-born Spanish accountant was employed by the European Commission as Chief Accountant and raised concerns about the commission's accounting system.
- According to her website, Andreasen felt the commission's accounting system left the commission vulnerable to potential fraud.
- Andreasen called for party leader Nigel Farage to resign after UKIP's council election performances in 2011.
- Earlier this month Andreasen threatened to quit the party and called Farage a "Stalinist dictator" in an interview with LondonlovesBusiness.com.
- She defected to the Conservatives today.
The MEP Marta Andreasen, who has defected from the UK Independence Party to the Conservatives, has said "it's not a decision I took lightly."
I joined UKIP because I thought the party could make a difference.
UKIP has good people in it at grassroots that care about the future of the United Kingdom and our place in a re-negotiated relationship with Europe.
Unfortunately, their party leader treats any views other than his own with contempt.
UKIP is his plaything to mould and shape in any way he sees fit, regardless of the views of others, myself included.
His actions, surrounding himself with an old boys club of like minded sycophants, are dictatorial in sharp contrast to those of David Cameron, who has shown he can listen, adapt and do what is right for the country, not just for personal gain.
Essentially, I do not see the party being led to achieve presence in Westminster which is the place where decisions can be made to stop the EU juggernaut.
Here is a full list of Eastleigh's by-election candidates:
- Colin Bex - Wessex Regionalists
- David Bishop - Elvis Loves Pets Party
- Jim Duggan - Peace Party
- Ray Hall - Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Party
- Howling Laud Hope - Monster Raving Loony William Hill Party
- Maria Hutchings - Conservative
- Diane James - UK Independence Party
- Dr Iain Maclennan - National Health Action Party
- Kevin Milburn - Christian Party "Proclaiming Christ's Lordship"
- John O'Farrell - Labour
- Darren Procter - Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition
- Danny Stupple - Independent
- Mike Thornton - Liberal Democrats
- Michael Walters - English Democrats
The UK Independence Party MEP Marta Andreasen has defected to the Conservatives.
She alleges that UKIP leader Nigel Farage "treats any views other than his own with contempt."
She adds: "Essentially, I do not see the party being led to achieve presence in Westminster which is the place where decisions can be made to stop the EU juggernaut."
Ms Andreasen says she was convinced to switch to the Conservatives after David Cameron's "game changer" speech on Britain's relations with Europe, pledging an in-out referendum on the issue.
"I was also reassured by the financial deal that David Cameron got for Britain on the EU Budget", she added.