- 33 updates
Double Olympic gold medallist Mo Farah said he is comfortable with the security surrounding the London Marathon following the blasts in Boston.
Farah, who is set to run a half marathon this weekend, said, "For me, this is home, this is a great city ... and for what we did at the London Olympics, you shouldn't be worried at all".
When asked about the Boston Marathon bombings, Farah said, "You don't want see anything like that in this sport ... All my support goes to the people that got hurt and their families".:
Olympic women's marathon champion Tiki Gelana said it has been a struggle to force the shocking images of the Boston bombings from her mind ahead of this weekend's London Marathon.
The Ethiopian told Press Association Sport: "It is not so easy [to put Boston out of your mind].
"As a human being you feel sorry for the people affected because of what happened. You think about it now and then."
"But I am here to run, I am an athlete," she continued. "London is a big marathon to win. Even with what happened in Boston, you come here to win. To win in London would mean a lot."
There will be an increased police presence at the London Marathon this weekend in the wake of bombings at the Boston event, the Home Secretary told MPs today.
Theresa May said adjustments to security arrangements had been made to this weekend's race after the fatal explosions that tore through spectators watching the race in the US on Monday.
Giving evidence to the Home Affairs Select Committee, Mrs May said, "They've made some adjustments to policing. They've put in some increased policing for the marathon".
"The London Marathon is a regular event, the organisers have a good record in terms of venue security, such as you can for an event that covers 26 miles", she said, adding, "We're very conscious of safety and security needs".
London is ready to host a safe marathon in the wake of bombings at the Boston event, Culture Secretary Maria Miller told MPs.
Ms Miller said the 2012 Olympics and years of experience demonstrated that the Metropolitan Police and other security services have an excellent record at ensuring sporting events on the streets of the capital are safe.
The Culture Secretary said, "You will know from London 2012 last year, this country has a great deal of experience of ensuring our sporting events go well and that security is at the heart of the planning process".
"The London Marathon is no different", she continued. "The Minister for Sport [Hugh Robertson] met with the mayor yesterday again to go through the plans to make sure ... that we have the right security procedures in place".
During a brief formal statement, she said, "I'm delighted this weekend's runners here in London, a number of whom are MPs... will be asked to wear a black ribbon as a sign of respect and solidarity. A period of silence will be observed before the race begins".
Nick Clegg said police have been "double, triple, quadruple checking" security arrangements ahead of this weekend's London marathon.
The Deputy Prime Minister insisted everything possible is being done to ensure the event passes off safely following the Boston Marathon bombings.
During his weekly LBC 97.3 radio phone-in, Mr Clegg said the images from the US were "heartbreaking" and that he understood people were anxious.
"I have spoken to the Met Commissioner himself [Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe] about this yesterday, and I have a huge amount of confidence in the police and security services of this country", he said. "They do an amazing job keeping us safe all the time".
The organisers of the London Marathon have confirmed that runners will be encouraged to wear a black ribbon at the start of Sunday's race to honour victims of the attack on the Boston Marathon. An email to runners this morning said:
The email also said that a 30-second silence will be observed at all three race starts and will be signalled by a whistle.
London Marathon organisers announced that there will be "a period of silence lasting 30 seconds" before the start of the elite men's race and mass start on Sunday.
Sky News sports correspondent Paul Kelso has said runners at the London Marathon will be encouraged to wear black ribbons on Sunday to remember the victims of the Boston blasts:
Earlier organisers of the race said they would be holding a period of silence before the start of the race.
The organisers of the London Marathon have announced there will be a period of silence lasting 30 seconds prior to the start of the elite men's race and mass start on Sunday to "mark the tragic events that have unfolded in Boston in the last 24 hours".
Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe has said there will be increased searching and more officers on the beat for the London Marathon following the events in Boston.
He added that the force were taking any potential link to the London Marathon seriously but there were no obvious ones at the moment. He has also been in touch with his American counterparts.