- 13 updates
With a signature on a parchment of abdication and a kiss for her son, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands brought to an end her thirty three year rule - to the cheers of thousands of her people.
That son, now King Willem-Alexander, ushered in a new era and ushered his young family onto the palace balcony to even louder applause.
ITV News Europe Editor James Mates reports:
The new king of the Netherlands Willhem-Alexander, his wife Queen Maxima and Princess Beatrix, who abdicated today, have appeared on the balcony of the Royal Palace in Amsterdam and waved to the crowds.
Willem-Alexander becomes king of the Netherlands as his mother Beatrix abdicates.
The city of Amsterdam is preparing for the swearing in of a new King today, as Queen Beatrix will officially abdicate from the throne.
Yesterday the Queen thanked the Dutch people in a final address before her abdication and urged them to support her son, Crown Prince Willem-Alexander.
Here is the timeline of events for the abdication of Queen Beatrix and the crowning of King Willem-Alexander (all times are BST):
- 08:30-09:00 - Gun salute
- 09:00-09:30 - Abdication of Queen Beatrix in the Moses Hall of the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 09:30-09:50 - His Majesty King Willem-Alexander, Her Majesty Queen Máxima and Her Royal Highness Princess Beatrix appear on the balcony of the Royal Palace
- 13:00-14:30 - Swearing in and investiture of the King, who will deliver an address and be sworn in
- 15:30 - The King and his retinue proceed to the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 15:30-17:00 - Reception in the Royal Palace Amsterdam
- 18:30-18:45 - The Song for the King will be performed in the presence of the King and Queen, this will take place at the EYE Film Museum via a video link
- 19:45-20:30 - The King and Queen will take part in a water pageant with their daughters on the River IJ
Latest ITV News reports
Colourful celebrations have taken over the streets of Amsterdam as Queen Beatrix abdicated after 33 years.
As Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands ends her 33-year reign and abdicates in favour of her son a look at the monarchies of Europe.