The shadow home secretary has welcomed the Government's task force on tackling extremism after the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby in Woolwich.
Yvette Cooper said: "The police investigation is still under way into the vile murder in Woolwich, and there will need to be charges in court. Therefore we can't speculate at this stage on what caused this horrific attack or what might have made a difference.
"But we welcome the Government's task force on tackling extremism and will seek to support it.
"However, as well as the issues raised by the Prime Minister, the task force should also rethink the changes and reductions made in the Prevent strategy by Theresa May in 2011.
"Ministers should also use the task force to look again at the replacement of control orders by TPIMs, as the inability to relocate terror suspects outside London creates added pressure on the Met and the security service".
Home Secretary Theresa May hinted that the failed "snooper's charter" could be revived and appeared to be gearing up for a fight with Liberal Democrats.
The Home Secretary, speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, said that there was a reference to the plans in the Queen's Speech.
I have always been clear that access to communications data is essential for law enforcement agencies and the intelligence agencies.
There is a reducing capability in relation to access to communications data.
– Home Secretary Theresa May
Earlier this month Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg blocked the Home Secretary's plans for a communications bill that would have given police and security services access to records of individuals' internet use.
We don't know whether if that bill had been enacted two years ago it would have prevented this incident.
What we can certainly say is that it might have done and what we can absolutely say for certain is that if the communications data bill, with the safeguards that were agreed in the last session of parliament, was introduced then it would be very likely to prevent some attacks of this kind in the future.
– Lord Carlile
Liberal Democrat Lord Carlile, who until 2011 was the independent reviewer of government anti-terror laws, said he was "shocked" at Mr Clegg's "political" decision.
Home Secretary Theresa May has said that the government's Prevent strategy, which aims to stop the radicalisation of people by extremist ideologies, works with around 2,000 people.
Asked on the Andrew Marr Show about the scale of the problem, she said: "You have people on different points to what could be a path to violent extremism.
"We have introduced a new programme, which isn't for those immediately at danger of radicalisation, but for those that are perhaps further out."
She said that around 2,000 people were involved with this part of the programme, and that more work is taking place with prisoners.
The Home Secretary said it was right that the government had the Prevent programme, countering the ideologies that lead to radicalisation, and working in institutions like prisons "where radicalisation might take place".
When asked if there were thousands of people at risk, she replied: "Potentially".
David Cameron is launching a new terror task force to crack down on extremism after the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby, Downing Street confirmed tonight in a report by the Mail on Sunday.
The Cabinet level group, which will also bring in intelligence and police chiefs when needed, will focus on radical preachers who target potential recruits in jails, schools, colleges and mosques.
It will monitor trends in radicalisation and tackle "poisonous narratives", Number 10 said.
The group will include Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Home Secretary Theresa May, Chancellor George Osborne, other key Cabinet ministers, Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe and Andrew Parker, the director general of the Security Service.
It will be known as the Tackling Extremism and Radicalisation Task Force (TERFOR).