- 3 updates
The Middle Eastern state of Qatar has witnessed a peaceful transfer of power from Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani to his son Sheikh Tamim bin Khalifa Al Thani.
Here are some facts about the country:
- Richest country in the world by head of population
- Population of 1.9 million of which most are foreign workers
- Dominated by the Thani family for almost 150 years
- Sits on more than 15% of the world's proven oil and gas reserves
- Originally a pearl fishing settlement
- Home to the Arab broadcaster Al Jazeera
Foreign Secretary William Hague and his department have welcomed Qatar's new ruler, Sheikh Tamim bin Khalifa Al Thani, and said they look forward to working together.
He has taken over from his father, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, as Emir of the State of Qatar - a small but oil-rich country in the Arab Peninsula.
The Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, has transferred power to his son Sheikh Tamim. He said it was time for a new generation to take over.