- 7 updates
Forensic tests have confirmed agricultural pesticides were present in free school meals in India, which led to the deaths of at least 20 children.
Bihar state official Ravinder Kaur told a news conference the levels of pesticides found in the meals were five times the control level.
A further 27 children and the school cook were also hospitalised following the poisoning.
Thousands of schoolchildren in poverty-stricken eastern India were refusing to eat free school meals after 22 died from eating lunch apparently contaminated with insecticide, officials told AFP.
The 22 victims, aged four to 12, died after eating vegetables, lentils and rice in the state of Bihar and 30 remain ill in hospital.
Children elsewhere in the state were throwing their meals in bins, despite pleas from school officials the tragedy would not be repeated.
Lakshmanan, director of the midday meal scheme in Bihar, told AFP: "Parents have warned their children to not even touch the meal served in the school.
"Some of the students dumped the lunch in school dustbins and we are trying to convince everyone that the tragedy will not be repeated."
The families of the 20 children who have died from food poisoning after eating a free school meal will be offered 200,000 rupees (£2,233) in compensation, Bihar's food minister said.
Violent protests broke out in India after at least 20 children were killed and many others fell sick from a free school meal that was tainted by a heavy dose of insecticide.
Another 27 children and the school cook have been hospitalised, a Bihar state official said.
At least 20 children have died and dozens were taken to hospital in India with food poisoning after eating a free school dinner.
The children, aged eight to 11, fell ill after having a lunch of rice, soybean and pulses.
Raja Yadav, the father of one schoolboy, said: "As soon as my boy returned from school, we rushed to the hospital with him. He was vomiting and he said his stomach was aching".
R.K. Singh, medical superintendent at the children's hospital where the victims are being treated, said: "We are currently treating 27 children here. Of them nine are in serious condition, 18 are stable."
The Indian education minister for the region, PK Sahi, said an investigation had found traces of phosphorous in the school meals.
The chemical is used as an insecticide on rice and wheat.
Reports suggested the food had not been washed before it was served to the children.
Up to 19 children have now died after eating free school meals at a primary school in eastern India, the Associated Press reported.
The children, aged between 8 and 11, fell ill after eating the meals in a school in Masrakh, a village 50 miles north of Patna.
State officials said a total of 28 children had been taken to hospital, with 10 in serious condition.