- 8 updates
Chelsea have made a straight-cash bid for Manchester United's unsettled striker Wayne Rooney, the club's manager Jose Mourinho said.
"Chelsea is interested in this player, made a bid and what we did we did officially," Mourinho said on the club website.
"Now we have nothing more to say, we want the player, we made the bid and now it is up to Man United. "We don't want to make public the bid but it is just a certain amount of money and it doesn't involve players or players in the possibility of negotiation. No Juan Mata, no David Luiz."
When asked about any proposal to swap a Chelsea player or players for Manchester United's Wayne Rooney, the club's new manager Jose Mourinho said:
"I have to respect Man United and my colleague David (Moyes, the United manager), to respect even my players from Chelsea.
"The bid is there. The club knows we want the player. The player has to know we made a bid for him.
"Now it's up to them and we respect their decision.... we'll see what happens. Now he's with Man United, not with us."
Chelsea Football Club has confirmed that yesterday it made a written offer to Manchester United for the transfer of Wayne Rooney.
A statement said: "Although the terms of that offer are confidential, for the avoidance of doubt and contrary to what is apparently being briefed to the press in Sydney, the proposed purchase does not include the transfer or loan of any players from Chelsea to Manchester United."
Manchester United have confirmed that chief executive Ed Woodward’s early return to the UK from the club's tour of Australia "has nothing to do with Wayne Rooney".
Manchester United boss Ed Woodward's early exit from a tour of Australia comes after the club revealed a bid from Chelsea for striker Wayne Rooney had been turned down.
United are also said to remain confident of securing the services of Cesc Fabregas despite Barcelona's insistence the player wants to remain at the Nou Camp.
In addition, Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini have been strongly linked with moves to join their old boss David Moyes.
So far, the club's only signing of the summer has been Uruguay Under-20 defender Guillermo Varela, who has yet reported for duty yet.
Manchester United chief executive Ed Woodward has left the club's tour of Australia early to carry out some urgent transfer business.
It is not clear what deal Woodward might be needed to work on but it is reported that he told United officials of his immediate departure whilst they were at tonight's State of Origin match at ANZ Stadium.
The development is hugely significant given he was due to return home on Sunday anyway, rather than fly onto Japan for the next leg of United's five-match tour.
Manchester United have rejected a bid for Wayne Rooney from Chelsea, Press Association Sport understands.
Wayne Rooney is "angry and confused" over David Moyes' apparent comments that he sees the striker as back-up to Robin van Persie, according to Press Association sources.
Manchester United are remaining silent over the affair but the England international's future at Old Trafford is now in doubt, with Chelsea the bookmakers favourite to sign the forward.
The 27-year-old has no intention of playing second fiddle to last season's top scorer van Persie or being reduced to the rank of a squad player.
Rooney was sent home from the club's pre-season tour in Thailand after suffering from a hamstring injury.