We asked ITV News' Facebook followers what they thought about today's boycott protest of Twitter as a protest against the recent spate of online abuse against several high profile women. Here is a selection of the responses:
– Debbie Cressey, writing on Facebook
One of my friends was one threatened with rape on Twitter. The Police need to crack down on these cowards and never allow [them] access to social media.
– Becky Lucox, via email
Trolls use words of hate. We don't need to shut up, we need to ignore them and speak louder than they can. Women have had enough of being sexualised and discriminated against.
They are just standing up for what the believe in. I just don't think it was the best cause of action to take.
– Anna Nicholls, writing on Facebook
No. It's stupid. So victims of bullying should shut up should they? Caitlin Moran has got everything wrong. Trolls are pathetic but this is giving them the attention they crave.
TV presenter Mary Beard, who has been victim of a vicious online campaign of abuse and was last night sent a hoax bomb threat on the platform, has attempted to report abuse to Twitter, but has been unsuccessful.
@twitteruk I have tried to report violent threats on my mobile phone and failed to get it to submit. could you help me please.
Hundreds of people on Twitter have said they will refrain from tweeting today, to protest at the recent abuse and threats received by several high-profile women on the platform.
Okay, signing off. I’m supporting #Twittersilence. See you Monday.
The hashtag #twittersilence has been top trending in the UK for more than 12 hours, as people debate their feelings on the protest.
Television presenter Mary Beard has been sent a bomb threat on Twitter hours after the social messaging site's UK boss issued an apology to women who receive abusive tweets.
The classicist revealed the message on her Twitter page last night and said she had notified police, who logged the threat.
just got 1 of these messages A BOMB HAS BEEN PLACED OUTSIDE YOUR HOME. IT WILL GO OFF AT EXACTLY 10:47PM AND DESTROY EVERYTHING. told police
Professor Beard said the threatening tweet was similar to others sent to women in the public eye, including columnist Grace Dent, and proved to be a hoax.
OK all, it's 11.00pm and we are still here. So unless the trolling bombers timekeeping is rotten.... all is well. But how stupidly nasty.
She attempted to play down the threat later, tweeting:
@thedaillew a few glasses of scotch and all ok
Twitter's UK boss has personally apologised to women who have been attacked by trolls on the social networking site, vowing to do more to protect people from abuse.
Tony Wang, general manager of Twitter UK, posted a series of tweets today saying abuse was "simply not acceptable".
Harry Smith reports:
Comedian David Baddiel told ITV News he had been subjected to anti-Semitic abuse on Twitter.
Caroline Criado-Perez, who came under sustained attack on Twitter after running a successful campaign to have a woman's picture placed on a new bank note, has welcomed Twitter's pledge to do more to tackle trolling and abuse on the platform, but said they could have acted quicker.
While I'm pleased they're listening, it's taken Twitter a week to come up with this.
Twitter's 'report abuse' button on the iPhone application goes through to the old reporting form - what we're looking for is an overhaul of the system which sits behind the button.
The current process is lengthy, complicated and impossible to use if you're under sustained attack like I have been.
Right now, all the emphasis is on the victim, often under intense pressure, to report rather than for Twitter to track down the perpetrator and stop them.
I am, of course, pleased that they are taking on new staff. The hard facts are that this will take time, investment and properly trained and paid staff - but it's crucial they get this right.
The head of Twitter UK, Tony Wang, has made a personal apology to the women who have experienced abuse and sexual threats on the social media platform.
I personally apologize to the women who have experienced abuse on Twitter and for what they have gone through.
The abuse they've received is simply not acceptable. It's not acceptable in the real world, and it's not acceptable on Twitter.
There is more we can and will be doing to protect our users against abuse. That is our commitment.
Twitter has issued a new set of commitments after a spate of high-profile allegations of threats and abuse because, it says, "people deserve to feel safe" using the network.
In a blog post written by Del Harvey, Twitter's San Francisco-based head of safety and Tony Wang, Twitter UK's general manager, the service committed to:
- Update its rules to be clearer on abuse and threats
- Add an 'in-Tweet report button' to the Android application and Twitter.com (it has already been introduced on mobile web Twitter and on the iPhone app)
- Work with the UK Safer Internet Centre and include its campaigns in promoted trends
- Add more staff to its teams that handle abuse reports
The pledges come in response to a series of threats and abuse allegations in recent weeks: