- 20 updates
A controversial IRA commemoration in Northern Ireland has passed off peacefully so far despite a loyalist protest.
Victims' campaigners waved photos of loved ones killed during the troubles, a minority shouted angrily and one demonstrator temporarily broke through a security barrier amid emotional scenes in Castlederg, Co Tyrone.
The mainly middle-aged crowd of several hundred was separated by a line of police officers from republicans marching through the town to mark the deaths of IRA men
Families of IRA victims are protesting against the IRA commemoration in Castlederg, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.
Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams said he will attend a parade in west Belfast later today to "support the families of the Ballymurphy massacre".
Ahead of the march, Adams said he believes an independent panel should be appointed "to examine all of the documents relating to the context, circumstances and aftermath of the deaths" of 11 people during the Troubles.
Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers has appealed for calm ahead of a controversial parade commemorating deceased IRA members.
Ms Villiers said: “I know the deep pain this parade will cause the families of victims in West Tyrone and the rest of Northern Ireland.
“I would appeal for calm in Castlederg today.
“All possible support must be given to the police in upholding the rule of law and acting to keep the community safe at this tense time.”
Police in Northern Ireland have appealed for calm ahead of a controversial parade commemorating deceased IRA members.
Sinn Fein MLA Barry McElduff, one of the organisers of the Tyrone Volunteers Day Parade in Castlederg, County Tyrone, said he is "absolutely determined" the event later today will be "peaceful and dignified".
On Friday night, 56 police officers were injured during violent clashes in Belfast during protests against a parade.
Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers told ITV News the attacks on police in Belfast last night were "disgraceful".
Ms Villiers said it was "really saddening" that the scenes were "sending out a negative images of Northern Ireland to the rest of the world":
Northern Ireland's chief constable said last night's violence in Belfast has scarred the city's reputation, describing the rioting as "mindless anarchy".
Matt Baggott told a press conference today: "I know that 99%, if not more, of the population will stand with me in utterly condemning those who scarred the reputation of our beautiful city last night.
"Those people had no intention of peaceful protest, they lack self respect and they lack dignity."
Fifty-six police officers were injured during the rioting and seven arrests have been made, he added.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland has confirmed that fifty six officers were injured during clashes in the city of Belfast last night.
Stormont's Justice Minister David Ford said there could be no excuse for last night's rioting in Belfast.
Mr Ford said: "Violence is wrong and no cause, no dispute, no disagreement can justify it.
"The scenes of loyalist protesters attacking the police service will quickly replace the positive images many have worked hard to deliver in recent weeks.
"Some individuals and groups may not agree with determinations from the Parades Commission, but they do have the weight of the law behind them".
Northern Ireland Secretary Theresa Villiers called last night's violence in Belfast "shameful" after 26 police officers were injured.
Ms Villers continued, "After success for Northern Ireland this summer as host to both the G8 and the World Police and Fire Games, disorder on the streets is a hugely regrettable step backwards.”