'Neurotoxic' attack in Syria

Medecins Sans Frontieres says doctors have treated about 3,600 patients in Syria with 'neurotoxic symptoms' and that 355 of them died. It suggests there are strong indications that chemical weapons have been used.

Latest ITV News reports

Assad regime 'blames chemical attack on rebels'

Humanitarian group Medecins Sans Frontieres has said there are strong indications that a chemical attack was carried out in Syria. It added that doctors had treated thousands of people suffering from neurotoxic symptoms.

The Assad regime has tried to shift the blame for the attack today on rebels whilst still refusing to allow the UN to investigate.

ITV News' Middle East Correspondent Geraint Vincent reports:

Advertisement

MSF: Use of neurotoxic agents in Syria breaks law

Medecins Sans Frontieres says there is strong evidence that the “large number of patients” doctors have treated in Syria were exposed to a “neurotoxic agent”.

Medical staff working in these facilities provided detailed information to MSF doctors regarding large numbers of patients arriving with symptoms including convulsions, excess saliva, pinpoint pupils, blurred vision and respiratory distress.

The reported symptoms of the patients... strongly indicate mass exposure to a neurotoxic agent. This would constitute a violation of international humanitarian law, which absolutely prohibits the use of chemical and biological weapons.

– Dr Bart Janssens, MSF director of operations

Syrian State TV: Soldiers discover 'chemical agents'

Syrian state television is reporting that government soldiers found chemical agents in rebel tunnels in the Damascus suburbs of Jobar this morning. The government run station quoted a "news source" as saying:

In some cases, soldiers are suffocating while entering Jobar. Ambulances came to rescue the people who were suffocating in Jobar.

Activists say more than a thousand people were killed in a chemical attack in Jobar on Wednesday morning.

Pictures: Rockets which 'delivered poison' to Damascus

Advertisement

ITV News footage shows Syria 'gas attack' horror

World leaders are facing diplomatic deadlock over Syria, caught between video evidence that strongly suggests a chemical attack, and the absence of concrete evidence.

Footage obtained by ITV News shows the aftermath of the alleged attack: Men, women and children lying dead where they fell.

Whatever killed them will have dispersed quickly, meaning that their bodies are likely to be the only evidence about its nature.

ITV News correspondent Paul Davies reports:

Read: Horrific images of Syrian 'gas attack' are hard to forget

Hague: Chemical attack is 'only possible explanation'

"We do believe that this is a chemical attack by the Assad regime on a large scale," Foreign Secretary William Hague said today.

"It is now 48 hours since the reports started to come in of what seems to have been a terrible atrocity near Damascus including the use of chemical weapons.

"This is not something that a humane or civilised world can ignore," he said. "The only possible explanation of what we've been able to see is that it was a chemical attack."

He said the UN's priority was to allow inspectors onto the sites of the attacks but so far that had not been allowed.

"Already it seems that the Assad regime has something to hide - why else wouldn't they allow the UN team to go there?"

Hague said he hoped to speak to the Russian foreign minister later today.

Load more updates