Call for Navy security review

US politicians are calling for a review into how the suspected gunman in Monday's rampage at the Washington Navy Yard received and maintained a security clearance, despite a history of violent episodes.

Latest ITV News reports

Report: Obamas to attend service for shooting victims

President Obama and the First Lady are expected to attend a memorial service for victims of the Washington Yard shooting on Monday, according to Washington Post reporter David Nakamura.

C7c88d7cbc77fb74b061f228b96a7041_normal

Pres. Obama and @flotus will attend memorial service for #NavyYardShooting victims 5 pm Sunday at Marine Barracks. Potus will make remarks.

Read: Call for Navy security review

Advertisement

Senators call for review of security clearance process

US politicians are calling for a review into how the suspected gunman in Monday's rampage at the Washington Navy Yard received and maintained a security clearance, despite a history of violent episodes.

Lawmakers say this most recent incident shows serious flaws in the federal government's process for issuing security clearances and vetting contractors - an issue laid bare earlier this year by former National Security Agency contractor turned whistle-blower Edward Snowden.

Democratic Senators Claire McCaskill and Jon Tester plan to send a letter to the Office of Personnel Management's inspector general, demanding answers about how Alexis' background check was conducted for his security clearance.

Advertisement

FBI: Deceased gunman 'entered Navy base with shotgun'

An FBI spokeswoman said they believe Mr Alexis entered the complex with a shotgun, and then gained access to handgun once inside the Navy base. A spokeswoman said:

We believe that Aaron Alexis entered the building [...] complex with a shotgun. We do not have any information at this time that he had an air 15 in his possession. We also believe Mr Alexis may have gained access to a handgun once inside the facility, and after he began shooting.

Read: FBI say deceased Washington gunman acted alone

FBI: Deceased Washington gunman acted alone

The FBI have confirmed that Aaron Alexis, the gunman responsible for killing 12 people at the US Navy base in Washington DC, acted alone. A FBI spokeswoman said:

"We believe at this time that the deceased shooter, Aaron Alexis, acted alone. As such with no other suspects at large, the investigation has moved into a stage of evidence retrieval."

Load more updates