- 10 updates
The new iOS 7 operating system for iPads and iPhones has received mixed reviews on social media.
Despite some iPhone and iPad users having issues problems downloading Apple's new iOS 7 operating system, some are having more success:
iPhone and iPad users have taken to Twitter to express their frustration over problems downloading Apple's new iOS 7 operating system:
Here is Apple's official preview of the new iOS 7 operating system that is due to be released later today:
- When will iOS 7 be released in the UK?
Apple is not specifying a time apart from saying it will be today. Some technology websites suggest it will be 10am PST (6pm UK time) in line with previous launches.
- Am I going to have to learn how to use my iPhone / iPad all over again?
Apple has promised that iOS 7 will be "instantly familiar to our users". Previews suggest there are some new navigation features, like a new Control Centre to give users quick access to regularly-used controls. But many functions, like the home screen and home button, will remain the same.
- Does this include MacBook Pro laptops?
iOS 7 is an operating system for mobile devices like iPhones, iPads and iPods.
MacBooks and iMacs will run off OSX, when it is released later this Autumn, or its earlier versions.
Ask your questions on our Facebook page
Apple says that its new mobile operating system iOS 7 has been "completely redesigned". Here is a sneak preview of how it will look on mobile devices:
Apple's new operating system iOS 7 features a completely new look and an emphasis on simplicity. Here are some of the features users can expect:
- Buzz words for iOS 7 are: Simplicity, clarity, Unobtrusiveness
- One-swipe access to "things you often want to do at a moment's notice"
- Launch of Apple's file-sharing feature AirDrop on mobile devices
- New voices and commands for Siri
- Full-screen experience in Safari
- Redesigned camera interface with easier access to functions and modes and new effects
- Easier switching between different apps
- iTunes radio
What are your first impressions of iOS 7? Tell us on our Facebook page.
Users of certain models of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch will be able to download the new operating system for free from September 18th.
- Connect your charger and go to Settings > General > Software Update
- If the new OS is available, there should be an option to download
- The download process could take a few minutes or longer, depending on your internet connection (it may take longer on launch day)
It is recommended that you make a backup of your data before updating your operating system.
The new iOS 7 will only work on the following models:
- iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 5C
- iPad 2, 3, 4 and mini
- iPad touch fifth generation
The new software has been designed to make the iPhone appear bigger, with features crafted to take advantage of the entire screen.
Text is said to appear sharper, while a "control centre" on the phone allows users to adjust settings with just one swipe from the bottom of the screen.
This gives instant access to functions such as Airplane Mode, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Do Not Disturb, and enables users to quickly pause or play a song, jump to the next track and stream music.
Meanwhile a "notification centre" is available from the "lock" screen so users can view updates with a "simple swipe".
Apple customers across the globe are expected to download the company's latest operating system today which has been hailed as a new beginning for the technology giant.
British design chief Sir Jonathan Ive introduced iOS 7 as an "important new direction" when he showcased the software at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco earlier this year.
The new operating system has a cleaner look than its predecessors and has been described by Apple's CEO Tim Cook as "the biggest change to iOS since the introduction of the iPhone".