Terror suspect given UK asylum

Theresa May is to be questioned over why Al-Qaeda terror suspect Anas al-Libi, who captured by US special forces this weekend, was given asylum in Britain. The 49-year-old is accused of involvement in the American embassy bombings in east Africa.

Advertisement

Home Secretary to face questions on terror suspect

Home Secretary Theresa May is to be questioned by MPs over why one of the world's most wanted Al Qaeda terror suspects - captured by US special forces this weekend - was given asylum in Britain.

Theresa May
Home Secretary Theresa May will face questions about how an alleged terror suspect slipped through the net. Credit: PA

According to reports Anas al-Libi, who was seized on Saturday in the Libyan capital Tripoli, arrived in Britain in the mid-1990s and lived in Manchester after being granted political asylum.

The 49-year-old was accused by the US of involvement in the 1998 American embassy bombings in east Africa which killed more than 220 people.

Anas al-Libi in a FBI handout. Credit: Reuters/FBI Handout

Chair of the Home Affairs select committee, Labour MP Keith Vaz said: "This case raises serious questions about the motives behind asylum and national security decisions in the UK."

Theresa May will face MPs on October 15.

US target was 'Al Shabaab foreign fighter commander'

The US raid in Somalia targeted a Kenyan of Somali origin known by the name Ikrima, US officials told Reuters on Sunday.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, they described the target as a foreign fighter commander for al Shabaab in Somalia.

The US has not formally named the target of the weekend raid in Somalia, in which Navy Seals stormed ashore into the al Shabaab stronghold of Barawe. One US official has previously said the target was neither killed or captured.

US issues warning to terrorist organisations after raids

The US has issued a warning to Islamist terror organisations today that "they can run, but they can't hide" after mounting two separate raids in Africa.

US Commandos captured an Al-Qaeda suspect in the Libyan capital Tripoli, wanted over the US Embassy bombings that took place in 1998.

But in Somalia it is claimed they missed their intended target, a senior figure of the group behind the Kenyan shopping mall attack.

ITV News' Africa Correspondent Rohit Kachroo reports:

Advertisement

US will 'spare no effort to hold terrorists accountable'

Operations in Libya and Somalia show that the US will "spare no effort to hold terrorists accountable", US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.

"I want to commend all of the service members who were involved in the planning and execution of these two operations, which demonstrate the unparalleled precision, global reach, and capabilities of the United States military," Hagel said in a statement.

United States Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel Credit: Ron Sachs / CNP

Pentagon: US 'committed to protecting Americans'

On Oct.5, the Department of Defense, acting under military authorities, conducted an operation to apprehend longtime Al Qaeda member Abu Anas al Libi in Libya. He is currently lawfully detained under the law of war in a secure location outside of Libya.

Wherever possible, our first priority is and always has been to apprehend terrorist suspects, and to preserve the opportunity to elicit valuable intelligence that can help us protect the American people.

– George Little, press secretary of the Pentagon

Libya demands 'clarifications' over kidnap of suspect

Libya has said today it has asked the US for "clarifications" regarding the abduction in Tripoli of an al Qaeda leader linked to the 1998 US Embassy bombings in east Africa, adding that Libyans should be tried in their own country.

In a statement, the government said it "contacted the American authorities and asked it to present clarifications" regarding the al-Libi abduction. It also said it hoped the incident would not impact its strategic relationship with the United States.

Al Shabaab deny claims official present during US raid

Somalian militant group al Shabaab has said that no "senior official" was in the house in Barawe raided by US forces on Saturday, according to Reuters.

"The US claim that a senior Al Shabaab official was in the house is false. No senior official was in the house," Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, al Shabaab's military operation spokesman said.

"Normal fighters lived in the house and they bravely counter-attacked and chased the attackers. The apostate Somali government is nothing in Somalia, no one asked them for permission to carry out the attack."

Load more updates