A former driver charged with sex offences as part of the investigation triggered by allegations of abuse against Jimmy Savile has been found dead at his home, Scotland Yard said. David Smith, 66, failed to appear at Southwark Crown Court yesterday.
A post mortem examination is taking place on the body of David Smith who was charged with sex offences as part of the investigation triggered by allegations of abuse against Jimmy Savile.
The 66-year-old, who was the first person to be charged under Operation Yewtree, was found dead at his home by police after failing to turn up at Southwark Crown Court in London for the start of his trial yesterday.
Judge Alistair McCreath today ordered that the file on the case should be closed, after hearing from Detective Constable Michael Wallace, the officer in the case who identified the body, that it was the same man as charged in the indictment.
Smith had faced two counts of indecent assault, two of indecency with a child, and one of buggery, all relating to a 12-year-old boy, between June 1 and July 21 1984.
On searches carried out to date, we have not found any record of David Smith being employed by or working for the BBC. We have been assisting the police in relation to David Smith and will continue to do so.
Earlier today, David Smith failed to turn up at Southwark Crown Court for the start of his trial.
Smith's counsel Sandy Canavan said her solicitor had been attempting to contact Smith without success.
Ms Canavan said: "He has been regularly in contact, I am concerned at the lack of contact. He is the sole carer for his very aged and very unwell mother, that may have affected why he's not here today."