The McCanns have described new reports about a man Portuguese police allegedly suspect kidnapped Madeleine as "pure speculation".
The 40-year-old had been fired from the Ocean Club holiday complex in Praia de Luz where the McCanns were staying when their daughter disappeared on May 3, 2007, and may have been seeking revenge, Portuguese daily Correio da Manha said.
He died in a tractor accident in 2009 but police have interviewed his widow as part of their new investigation, according to the newspaper.
Clarence Mitchell, who represents Kate and Gerry McCann, said: "We are aware of reports in the Portuguese press.
"They are pure speculation and the McCanns are not going to give a running commentary on every new report."
ITV News understands that Portuguese Police are investigating a new lead in the search for Madeleine McCann. They now believe she may have been taken by a disgruntled former hotel worker. The man they suspect, died four years ago.
A source close to Madeleine McCann's parents has told ITV News that they are "aware" Portuguese police are investigating the possibility a former employee at the hotel in Praia de Luz where the family were staying may have kidnapped her.
It is understood the 40-year-old man died in a tractor accident in 2009 - two years after Madeleine disappeared.