- 4 updates
A couple found buried in the back garden of a home in Mansfield were killed by gunshot, forensic tests have confirmed.
The remains of the pair - believed to be elderly couple William and Patricia Wycherley who disappeared from the house in 1998 - were found in the garden of the house in Blenheim Close, Forest Town, on October 9 following a tip-off.
A 55-year-old woman and a 57-year-old man - named by the Press Association as the couple's daughter Susan Edwards and son-in-law Christopher - today remain in custody being questioned over their couple's murder.
Nottinghamshire police have arrested a 57-year-old man and 55-year-old woman on suspicion of murdering a Mansfield couple in 1998.
The arrests follows the discovery of two bodies in a quiet cul-de-sac in Mansfield on 9 October 2013.
The bodies have yet to be formally identified but police believe the remains are that of elderly couple William and Patricia Wycherley, who lived at the house in the 1990s and, according to neighbours, disappeared in 1998.
The daughter of an elderly couple found buried in the back garden of their home has been arrested on suspicion of their murder. Susan Edwards, 55, and her husband Christopher, 57, were arrested at St Pancras International railway station in London on Wednesday evening.
Nottinghamshire Police have refused to confirm the identities of the pair under arrest, but it is understood that they are the daughter of William and Patricia Wycherley and her husband.
Police have arrested two people in connection with the murder of an elderly couple whose remains were found in a garden in Nottinghamshire earlier this month:
- 9 October: Police find remains of two bodies in the back garden of a house in Mansfield after acting on new information about an incident that happened at the property in the 1990s.
- 11 October: Neighbours say an elderly couple that lived in the home mysteriously disappeared in the 1990s.
- 15 October: Nottinghamshire Police say they are confident the remains of are those of Patricia and William Wycherley, although they say formal identification is "difficult".
- 15 October: The force launches a murder inquiry and appeals for information from the public.
- 31 October: A 57-year-old man and 55-year-old woman are arrested on suspicion of murdering the couple in 1998.