- 19 updates
Portsmouth spokesman Colin Farmery said: "If these serious allegations are true then we are extremely shocked and saddened by them, as match-fixing of any type goes to the heart of the integrity of the game.
"The player in question no longer plays for the club and we have not been contacted by the authorities, but of course we would cooperate fully with any inquiry."
In more secret filming by the Sun on Sunday, Sam Sodje claimed another player would take a £30,000 payment for deliberately earning a booking during a Championship match.
Explaining the scheme to the newspaper's undercover reporter, Sodje said: “This guy came to meet me at my house and it was sorted. That’s how easy it is — it’s nothing. The booking one is easy. This is the best time because it’s Christmas. I can get you four.”
The Sun said it accompanied Sodje to the fixture in question and the unnamed player did indeed pick up a yellow card for "a sliding tackle on an opponent after the ball had already gone out of play".
Three people are in custody after police opened a second investigation into football match-fixing following fresh allegations as a result of an investigation by The Sun on Sunday newspaper.
A National Crime Agency statement read:
This video has been removed for copyright reasons.
In secret footage filmed by the Sun on Sunday, former Portsmouth player Sam Sodje claims he took a £70,000 payment for a sending off during a third-tier League One fixture in February this year.
Sodje, who was born in London but represented Nigeria at international level, played three times in the Premier League for Reading in the 2006/07 season.
The National Crime Agency said in a statement they had launched a new investigation as a result of the footage: "We can confirm that The Sun has supplied us with intelligence and an investigation is ongoing."
A Gambling Commission spokesman said:
In a statement, the Football Association said:
Speaking about the latest allegations on match-fixing in the Championship, English football's second tier, Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said:
Detectives have confirmed that a new investigation is underway over match fixing.
The National Crime Agency released a statement following an investigation in The Sun on Sunday.
It is understood that two ex-Premier League stars are involved in a police match-fixing probe, according to a Sun on Sunday investigation.
The newspaper claims that one player claimed another agreed to deliberately earn a booking in a recent Championship clash in return for £30,000.