- 6 updates
The Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee said it will be ready to host the World Cup "regardless of the outcome" of FIFA's consultation period on the issue.
The committee said in a statement:
FIFA has said in a statement that Jerome Valcke's comments on moving the Qatar World Cup were his own view and that no decision had been taken on the timing.
In a statement they said: "Secretary General Jerome Valcke explained today in the Radio France interview - as he had already mentioned previously - that in his view the 2022 FIFA World Cup must take place in winter and the best possible time frame would be 15 November to 15 January.
"However, the precise event date is still subject to an ongoing consultation process which involves all main event stakeholders, including both the international football community as well as FIFA's commercial partners.
"As the event will not be played until eight years' time the consultation process will not be rushed and will be given the necessary time to consider all of the elements relevant for a decision.
"Consequently, no decision will be taken before the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil as agreed by the FIFA executive committee."
Britain's FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce said he was "totally surprised" at the statement the Qatar World Cup was to be moved - and confirmed the decision had to be taken by the executive committee.
He told Press Association Sport: "I was totally surprised this morning when I heard what Jerome has said.
"As I understand it all the stakeholders will have discussions and report back to the executive committee of FIFA and no final decision will be made on when the 2022 World Cup would be played until December 2014 or March 2015.
"As far as I am concerned that remains the situation and there has been nothing said to me to make that any different."
Boyce, from Northern Ireland, said Valcke "may have been stating his personal opinion".
He also said there had been a general assumption that the 2022 World Cup could not be played in the summer due to the heat. That view has previously been expressed by UEFA's 54 member countries and FIFA president Sepp Blatter but no decision on alternative dates has been taken.
"There is an expectation but there has been no decision," said Boyce.
Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke said the 2022 World Cup will not be played during the summer months.
"The dates for the World Cup (in Qatar) will not be June to July," he told Radio France.
"To be honest, I think it will be held between November 15 and January 15 at the latest," he added.
Football's governing body FIFA has ruled out a summer 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Reuters reports.
FIFA has previously launched a consultation to decide whether the tournament should be held in November-December, rather than June-July when Qatar will be at its hottest.
Latest ITV News reports
Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke has made his position known on moving the Qatar World Cup, ahead of consultation he is leading.