Heston Blumenthal restaurant closed over 'virus outbreak'

TV chef Heston Blumenthal has shut his gourmet London restaurant after it was hit by an outbreak of the vomiting virus. Some 45 diners and members of staff were infected with norovirus at Dinner in the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge.

Live updates

Heston Blumenthal: Sorry for the inconvenience

Heston Blumenthal said he is "very sorry for the "inconvenience" caused to people whose bookings have been cancelled this week at his restaurant Dinner, following a norovirus outbreak.

Heston Blumenthal said the temporary closure of Dinner might seem ‘rather extreme and over cautious’ Credit: PA

The celebrity chef told The Mail on Sunday that closing the London restaurant for a week might seem "rather extreme and over cautious" after the virus affected 45 diners and workers, but said that guests and staff were his main concern.

"My goal has always been to pursue perfection in the kitchen and to amaze our guests with taste sensations beyond their imagination, rather than expose them to the risk of a really nasty couple of days of heaving," he told the newspaper.

Blumenthal said that many schools and businesses had been affected worse than the restaurant, but he had temporarily closed Dinner "to be 100 per cent sure" the virus had been contained.

Closing restaurant 'responsible thing to do'

Westminster City Council said that its food safety officers are working with Heston Blumenthal's Dinner and Public Health England over a norovirus outbreak at the restaurant.

Test results this week have shown that there has been an outbreak of norovirus at the Dinner restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Knightsbridge.

The operators have now temporarily closed the restaurant and we believe this is the responsible thing to do.

Westminster City Council food safety officers have already carried out a thorough inspection of both the restaurant premises and working practices and will continue to work closely with Public Health England and the restaurant operators until the restaurant is given the all-clear.

– James Armitage, Westminster City Council food safety manager

Advertisement

45 diners and staff hit by Blumenthal restaurant virus

A norovirus outbreak at Heston Blumenthal's exclusive two Michelin-starred Dinner restaurant has affected 45 diners and members of staff.

A general view of the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge. Credit: PA

A total of 24 diners and 21 members of staff were taken ill at the restaurant in the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Hyde Park, Westminster City Council said.

Dinner, which opened in 2011, specialises in historical English food and a meal for two can cost around £190.

Its website said that it was expected to remain closed for a week from today.

  1. London

Outbreak causes TV chef Blumenthal's restaurant to temporarily close

TV chef Heston Blumenthal Credit: Reuters

TV chef Heston Blumenthal has closed his gourmet London restaurant for a week after a virus outbreak.

45 diners and staff were infected with norovirus at the Dinner restaurant, in the Mandarin Oriental hotel on Hyde Park.

Mr Blumenthal has apologised to the customers affected.

It's not the first time one of the chef's restaurants has been hit by the stomach bug.

In 2009 his most famous venue, The Fat Duck in Bray, was closed for 10 days following an outbreak that left 500 people sick.

Back to top