Rebekah Brooks today once again denied that her affair with Andy Coulson lasted for six years, saying she was not a "Miss Havisham" character, in reference to the elderly spinster in Great Expectations.
She said: "In that time I had got back together with Ross (Kemp), got married, bought a house together, tried for a baby and the relationship had gone wrong.
"Andy Coulson had got on with his life. I had not been sitting there like Miss Havisham. I had gone out, got married, tried to have a baby and got on with my life. I just did not have an affair for six years. We were close. There's just not a reason for me to lie."
Brooks admitted that "there must have been times" when Coulson was editor of the now-defunct News of the World and she was at The Sun when the pair shared shared "work-related confidences."
Brooks, 45, of Churchill, Oxfordshire, and Coulson, 46, of Charing, Kent, deny all the charges against them, including conspiracy to hack phones.
Rebekah Brooks denied today that she "cooked the books" to hide a £92,000 contract with a phone hacking private investigator Glenn Mulcaire when she was editor of the News of the World.
The deal was allegedly concealed in weekly payments to his company and signed off by then-managing editor Stuart Kuttner, the hacking trial was told.
Prosecutor Andrew Edis QC said to Brooks: "What I am suggesting to you is, it is now perfectly clear the books were cooked to prevent anybody investigating or finding out what Mr Mulcaire was doing." Brooks said: "I did not cook any books."
Brooks, 45, of Churchill, Oxfordshire, said that because they were "relatively small weekly payments" made by the news desk it was never bought to her attention.
Brooks denies conspiracy to hack phones, conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Co-defendant Kuttner, 73, of Woodford Green, Essex, also denies the alleged hacking conspiracy. All seven defendants deny the charges against them.
Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks has told the Old Bailey that she would allow a criminal offence if it was in the public interest, but denied "covering up" the extent of the phone hacking at the now-defunct Sunday tabloid.
On her ninth day in the witness box at the phone hacking trial, Brooks was questioned by prosecutor Andrew Edis QC about Glenn Mulcaire, who pleaded guilty to hacking in 2006.
Edis asserted the "rogue reporter" line News International took "was not true" but Brooks replied "it was believed to be true at the time".
She also testified that she believed News International's behaviour from 2007-2009 was honourable, saying "I had no reason to believe otherwise".
When asked: "Would you allow a criminal offence if you thought it was in the public interest?" Brooks replied: "If it was in the public interest, yes."
The Old Bailey has heard how Rupert Murdoch reacted angrily after being wrongly told Rebekah Brooks couldn't take his call, as she was shopping at MFI.
The former News of the World editor was in fact at a meeting at MI5 - but Brooks' "scatty and forgetful" personal assistant Cheryl Carter had made a mistake, the court heard.
"I was petrified that Rupert was going to hang me," Brooks said.
Mr Laidlaw said: "The prosecution asserts that you recruited Cheryl to pervert the course of justice. Is she the sort of candidate that you would cast for that role?"
Brooks replied: "No, but also because she is an incredibly decent, hard-working woman. It's not just because she's scatty, as she is, but because she's true."
Brooks also described Carter as an "amazing friend" and "brilliant PA" who acted as her "eyes and ears of the newsroom".
Former Mirror editor Piers Morgan told Rebekah Brooks to "Grit your teeth and stay strong" after it emerged that the murdered schoolgirl's phone had been hacked.
Jurors were also read messages of support that Brooks received from former Mirror editor Piers Morgan.
"When it rains, it f***ing pours. Grit your teeth and stay strong," Mr Morgan wrote.
Jurors heard that Brooks replied: "Can't believe any reporter would do that. Must have been (Glenn) Mulcaire."
Mr Morgan then wrote back: "If it wasn't a staffer you've got to get it out there fast. Lots of fury building on internet."
There was laughter in the court room as Brooks said Mr Morgan was an "avid tweeter".
"I was going to say twit," she added.
Mr Laidlaw interrupted: "I'm going to save you digging deeper."
Brooks said it was believed that whoever had hacked Milly's phone was not a staff member at the paper.
"Obviously the accusation of Milly Dowler's phone in itself was terrible, but it was the deletion of the messages, the false hope, that was rightly sparking fury," she said.
The allegation that voicemails had been deleted, and therefore given Milly's parents the impression she could still be alive, was later found to be untrue."
Rebekah Brooks has told the Old Bailey she received death threats, as well as messages of support from the likes of Tony Blair, after it emerged that Milly Dowler's phone had been hacked.
On the eighth day of her evidence and under questioning from her lawyer Jonathan Laidlaw QC, Brooks was asked about the events of July 2011, when the Guardian broke the "horrific" story.
Brooks told jurors she and her colleagues were horrified by the allegations and desperately tried to find out if they were true.
She said: "We were completely at a loss and all over the place really, trying to find out what was true and what wasn't".
Jurors heard a text, sent from Mr Blair to Brooks on July 5 2011, read: "Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.
"Thinking of you. I've been through things like this."
Brooks replied: "Thank you, I know what's it's like. GB (Gordon Brown) pals getting their own back. Rupert and James (Murdoch) have been brilliant."Hopefully even in this climate the truth will out."
Referring to the abusive messages she was sent, Brooks, 45, told jurors: "The allegations were, I think, met with universal revulsion and I was the central figure of that."
Brooks, of Churchill, Oxfordshire, denies conspiring to hack phones, conspiring to commit misconduct in public office and conspiring to cover up evidence to pervert the course of justice.All seven defendants deny the charges against them.
The jury have heard about a meeting between Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson to discuss new emails discovered on the account of a journalist.
They had an early meeting at the Halkin hotel in London to talk about the serious nature of the emails. She described it as "pretty incriminating evidence" about how widespread hacking might be at News International.
Mr Coulson confided in her that he had decided that the constant focus on him made it impossible for him to do his job as head of communications at Downing Street.
Mrs Brooks told the jury: "He'd already come to the conclusion himself. He said something like 'when the spokesman becomes the story it's impossible to do the job'."
She told the jury that they had been ordered to disclose the emails to lawyers representing Sienna Miller, as part of her civil claim. But they were considered to be so serious that they were handed over to the police at Scotland Yard.
Rebekah Brooks has agreed that she offered Max Clifford £200,000 to provide stories for The Sun, as part of a confidentiality deal.
The court has also been told that News international agreed to pay legal costs for convicted hacker and private investigator Glenn Muclcaire to prevent him from revealing names involved in intercepting voicemails, so called "disclosure".
She told the court that she had inherited the policy of protecting the finances and reputation of the newspaper group by reaching confidential agreements. She told the jury that News International had no idea what Mr Mulcaire might say and what names might be revealed as a result.
She said that all the work she was undertaking as CEO of News International to limit the damage that could be done by the civil claims related to the hacking carried out during 2005 and 2006.
Was there any suggestion that hacking had ever happened during her editorship of News of the World? "none what so ever" replied Mrs Brooks.
Former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has admitted paying public officials for information on "half a dozen" occasions during her time as a newspaper editor.
Brooks,45, told the phone hacking trial at the Old Bailey she sanctioned payments on "a handful" of occasions between 1998 and 2009, when she edited the News of the World and later the Sun.
Asked by her lawyer Jonathan Laidlaw QC if she ever sanctioned payments to public officials, Brooks answered: "Yes."
Questioned on how many times, she replied: "A handful of occasions - half a dozen."
Earlier Brooks told the court she had regular contact with "senior level" police officers, military chiefs and figures from MI5 and MI6.
She said public officials working for former prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown would often leak information to journalists during the pair's "feud".
The former editor, who also denies conspiring to hack phones and conspiring to cover up evidence to pervert the course of justice, took to the witness box today for her fifth day of evidence
The trial was adjourned until tomorrow.
Former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks told the Old Bailey that no journalist or desk head had come to her and asked her to approve the use of phone hacking to get stories while she was at the helm of the tabloid between 2000 and 2003.
Asked by her lawyer if she had ever been asked to sanction accessing any voicemails as part of an investigation or any stories, she said "no".
She told the court: "At the time, if you took my editorship of the News of the World at the time, I don't think anybody, me included, knew it was illegal."
She added: "No one, no desk head, no journalist, ever came to me and said, 'we're working on so-and-so a story but we need to access their voicemail' or asked my sanction to do it.
"It just didn't happen in the course of my editorship.
"Even though I didn't know it was illegal I still would have felt that it was absolutely in the category of a serious breach of privacy."